By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

“Bridgehead” is certainly one of my favorite episodes on COMBAT. It is so good for so many reasons. Just take a look at the acting and character intereaction alone, not to mention the action, plot and cinematography.

It's one of Dick's best dramatic vehicles. (I’m not overlooking "Glow Against The Sky". It just hasn't ‘happened’ yet in the chronology of the syndicated series). I think I almost fell in love with Littlejohn the first time I saw “Bridgehead”. Sure he deadpans hilariously opposite Billy in earlier episodes. But this, THIS was the episode that won my heart over to him. If there's such a thing as being a bigamist with a bunch of TV characters then that describes me perfectly.

Everyone is showcased beautifully in “Bridgehead". Doc gets that intensely absorbing “get me a gun" scene with Hanley. And Billy! If my heart didn't go all out for him when he was injured in “The Celebrity" then his terror in “Bridgehead" plucks every heartstring this gal’s got.

Besides “One More For The Road" this is one of the first times I had reason to actually ADMIRE Kirby. The normally selfish, self-centered, Kirby of early-COMBAT actually gets himself shot saving something other than his own skin.

Lt. Hanley once again demonstrates his empathetic understanding and his sympathy for the men under his command that reconfirms Gil Hanley as an officer deserving any GI's (and my) respect and admiration. Rick's role is small, due to the ensemble nature of the episode, but he gives us his best during the cellar scene when the Lt. has scenes with Sergeant Saunders.

And Saunders... that wonderful, magnificent Saunders! Once again he's the hero of the day. His intensity, courage, tenacity and ingenuity are truly awe-inspiring. Remember when he asks Lt. Hanley why they have to take that bridge? The look on Saunders face when Hanley answers… Wow, that look! Floors me every time. The final assault's teamwork between these two officers in this episode has a very realistic ‘feel’ for me.

I think Pvt. Scott's is wonderfully realized by the ep's writers and is well portrayed by Noam Pitlick. Even the young frail soldier, who cowers in the small house where he and Billy take up a forward position, gets my sympathy. How could I possibly dislike him? I even enjoy disliking the jazz drum playing Heller, he’s so remarkably out of beat with everyone else, and Nick Adams portrays him so well

I could go on all day! BUT I GOTTA GO DO MY INCOME TAXES! So long!

By Diane M. Judy (Djudy) on Unrecorded Date:

Nancy,
You said a mouthful that time. I agree with you in everything. I like Rick and the rest of the crew but "wonderful, magnificent Saunders!" his eyes and facial expressions are superb and without equal.
I've only recently begun to have the opportunity to watch COMBAT! Nov. 99 I saw it for the first time,and now am a dedicated fan. The short story
"Adiction" by one of the fan writters fit me to a T.
This year we had someone do our TAXES so they are "in the mail."
Diane

By Lyne Tremblay (Lyne) on Unrecorded Date:

Yes. I agree with all of your comments. I especially love to see the acting of Tom Lowell. His scene in the little house, when he finds himself all alone, without the help of the other soldier is intensely believable. The young man has cowered in the corner, terrified, all during the Kraut attack, and has refused to help Billy. Later in the episode, Billy stands at the window, looking outside. When the other young man stands to go near him to ask a question, Billy refuses to even speak to him. His look of anger shows him to be the kid he really is here. Just a scared and angry kid, trying to do his best in a terrifying situation.

Great ensemble work from everybody involved in the story. I think this has to be one of the very best episodes of Combat!

PFC

By Troy J. Martin (Troydawg) on Unrecorded Date:

Anybody notice the amazing similarity between "Bridgehead" and the last 1/3rd of "Saving Private Ryan"? A few things are turned around to the German side, but the situations are almost identical. (In
"Bridgehead," it is the Germans who are attempting to hold the bridge, and the Americans who send the tank to try to take it. Also, it is the Germans who make a last-ditch attempt to blow the bridge from their retreat position, instead of the Americans.)

A few more items are different (our beloved squad has no sniper; no one is bayonnetted), but the situations that the squad members find themselves in are very much the same. In place of the Tiger tank, as seen in the movie, the Germans fire their "Panzerfaust (sp?)" at the squad's hiding place, causing similar chaos to what's in the movie. There's even a coward who refuses to fire a shot until the very end when victory seems assured (I'm referring to the kid who takes the small house with Billy).

The author of "Ryan" evidently was influenced by "Combat!" Possibly even this very episode, though will we ever hear him admit it?

Unike "Ryan," however, the acting and writing in "Bridgehead" is far better than what made it to the big screen in Spielberg's movie (with the possible exception of Tom Hanks), and the cinematography is far less jarring. And, as many of you have pointed out, "Bridgehead" is lead by the incomparable Vic Morrow and Rick Jason. Enuf said...

By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

Now that you mention it, troydawg, YOU'RE RIGHT!

Unfortunately, it will probably be about 10 years before Spielberg owns up to that fact. That was how long it took him to admit that he "owed much to" (his words) the 1958 Japanese film, "Hidden Fortress" for the first "Star Wars" flick. (He ONLY ripped off its basic premise, main characters and even the final battle scene in which the hero rides down a narrow corridor, reining death upon his enemies).

Spielberg may have made a great movie with "SPR", but he’s not about to share the limelight with COMBAT! Not until enough people point out, what you haven mentioned, to the media and he’s forced once again to take the embarrassing bull by the horns the way he finally had to with Hidden Fortress/Star Wars.

And didn’t Spielberg ‘borrow’ the idea that SPR's Captain was a schoolteacher from, (now what movie was that) I think it was the famous 1943 "The Story of G.I. Joe" that was taken from the news stories of the famous war correspondent Ernie Pyle?

I don't mind movie makers recombining and re-using ideas from earlier films, but feel that they should at least give credit to those outstanding earlier films.

~ 349th Heavy Weapons Crew

By troydawg on Unrecorded Date:

Don't forget, HWC, that when you refer to Star Wars and the associated franchises, you are actually referring to George Lucas, not Steven Spielberg, though they are buddies, and Spielberg did direct Lucas' "Indiana Jones" films. Your reference to the "Hidden Fortress" inspiration for Star Wars is correct, however.

And Lucas himself has admitted that the entire blowing-up-the-Death-Star sequence at the end was directly inspired by WWII dogfighting films, like "The Battle of Britain," thus the similarities in style when the X-wings engage the TIE fighters and surface guns.

Surely, whether consciously or unconsciously, Spielberg definitely *was* influenced by the genius that was "Combat!," not just WWII in general, when creating SPR.

I haven't seen "The Story of G.I. Joe" yet. I'll definitely have to now.

--troydawg

By nathaniel on Unrecorded Date:

Ah, Vindication at last....! I have maintained from the very beginning that "Ryan" was structured EXACTLY like an Altman-directed COMBAT Episode.....I.e., a "war-is-emotional-hell" humanistic saga, neatly bookended by two spectacular battles. Too bad Spielberg didn't realize that more really CAN be less....*Grin*

By Rick Yoshida (Flyboy) on Unrecorded Date:

As a big fan of Combat I always like lots of action. You know a full episode of firefights, explosions, smoke and fire. This episode with co-star Nick Adams has is it all and is one of my favorites. When that American tank gets knocked out by a German Panzerfaust I figure Saunders and his squad have their hands full. Bad position and open ground is something they have to overcome in a hurry. Endless fire and more use of the deadly Panzerfaust adds to the excitment. Great story.

By Rose Ann Schrock (Carbine) on Unrecorded Date:

I too loved Bridgehead, but for a different reason. I am a girl, and I like adventure, but I always love to see the emotional aspects of Combat! The acting in this episode is four stars!
Nick Adams and Vic Morrow play well off of each other and Conlin Carter does a great job in the scene with the wounded Littlejohn. You can see his frustration at being a medic and watching his buddies die while he has to watch helplessly. Dick Peabody moved me to tears in this scene and Rick Jason's does a great job portraying the concerned but firm officer, right up to his PPT to Doc. I think that all around this is one of the finest episodes. (excluding Hills Are For Heroes and The Medal)

By Dana Eugene Creasy (Deecee322) on Unrecorded Date:

As with Rose, I enjoyed this episode, too; again, for a different reason. Nick Adams appeared in several episodes, but is probably best remembered for his role as Johnny Yuma in "The Rebel", a series about an ex-Confederate soldier who "roamed through the west" righting wrongs. He also appeared in "No Time for Sergeants", "Rebel Without A Cause", "Hell is For Heroes", "The FBI Story" and many more. Nick, whose family name was Adamschock, was a cousin of my best friend when growing up. He died tragically early at age 51. His family was from the Wilkes-Barre, PA area, and he is buried in a cemetary in the small town (Berwick, PA) near where I grew up. I think Nick brought color to his roles, especially those he did on Combat. Many other actors contributed to both this wonderful series and their future careers by working on Combat, too. It's nice to remember them now, and like the late Dick Peabody said, the show had a reputation in the business as being a "fun show"... everyone wanted to guest on it.

By beverly capolino (24.184.116.90) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 12:01 am:

bridgehead is one of my favorite saunders episodes, vic morrow is just a great actor! however, is it just me or does saunders seem to act strangely in this episode, especially in the scene when he tells billy that he has to go back out and take the little house again because he already has had experience with it, he seems so cold to me.

Visit CombatFan.com  
for information about Vic Morrow, Rick Jason and all the Combat cast!

: