By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

I absolutely love the way Saunders keeps trying to get Lovelace to sell him those brand new boots. There aren’t many times that we get to see Saunders smiling and playfully teasing any one in COMBAT! After this episode we never see Lovelace again so I wonder if Saunders ever DID <wicked grin> get a hold of dem boots? So long from your friendly 349th

- Heavy Weapons Crew

By Lyne Tremblay (Lyne) on Unrecorded Date:

OH, Heavy Weapons Crew. Are you positive, I mean, really really SURE, that Saunders wanted to get his hands on dem boots?

Or, else, maybe, he simply wanted to tease the god-given heck out of the guy, just because it seemed like a fun thing to do? Some people are just natural targets for that sort of thing, and Lovelace seems like the kind you never tire of teasing. His little indignant reactions to the Saunders "assault" on his boots are just soooo charming, I would have done exactly the same as the Sarge.

Now, if he had really, seriously, wanted dem tings, well....tink he would have gotten dem?

PFC, puttink her shoes on, to head off to work.

By Rose Ann Schrock (Carbine) on Unrecorded Date:

I agree with both of you gals! I think that Saunders did actually want the boots, but not as badly as he let on he did. I think that the fun of teasing ol' Lovelace was just too much to resist, I know i would have teased him too. Charming episode with a charming sterio-type southern boy guest star. Saunders is not his normal serious-as nails self here. Gotta watch it!
Hazelnut

By Dana Eugene Creasy (Deecee322) on Unrecorded Date:

Actually, if you watch the episodes in order, you will see that Saunders wore the original, full lace up style boots first issued in the early 1940s in the first few shows. He didn't begin wearing the buckled strap style combat boot until midway through the first season, which is keeping with accuracy, as the boot was not introduced into general usage until early 1944 and many outfits were not equipped with them until supplies caught up with them after the Normandy landings. No wonder he coveted "dem boots" (as opposed to "Das Boot"?)

By Lyne Tremblay (Lyne) on Unrecorded Date:

Hello Dana. Thank you so much for your comments which are, as always, very interesting and informative about this subject. BTW, wouldn't Saunders have had a bit of trouble taking "Das Boot" through Normandy hedgerows?

By JonBolt (205.188.209.112) on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 10:57 am:

What fun to come upon this site. I think THE SQUAD was the second episode shot and they were still feeling out the style of the show. There was an option in my contract to do future episodesas Moseby. But the show's light touch makes THE SQUAD a real anomaly in the series. The thing I remember most: It was the first time I worked at MGM and I spent every free moment of the shoot wandering the huge back lots of the studio. I spent 5 years in Hollywood, worked pretty consistently in television, but felt it wasn't for me. I returned to New York and the theatre where I still act, write and direct.

By Terry Pierce (63.94.13.80) on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 03:17 am:

Hi, Jon -

How great that you wrote in! I wonder if you could tell us any other anecdotes about your work on the show - maybe what inspired you to play Moseby the way you did (your own southern roots, perhaps?, or your interaction with Southerners?), what you remember about the other members of the cast, as well as the crew, what the caterer served for lunch during the shoot :-) , etc. It's such a treat to hear from an actor who took part in the series, and in such a fun-to-watch episode, to boot!

By Paul (208.8.78.109) on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 03:07 am:

Hi Jon,

One of my favorite episodes - I just watched it on tape again a few weeks ago. Did they 'order' you to walk through that burning tank smoke? Sarge got some of his best lines ("You ever been in a turkey shoot?" :^)!

LOL :^)! Paul

By Blaine (12.213.154.122) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 04:19 pm:

As a southerner, (Arkanasas, with family roots in Tennessee,Kentucky,Virgina,Maryland,and North Carolina and ancestors in all the wars fought on this continent) I had great fun with your portrayal of a southerner in "The Squad" It's been a long time since I watched the episode and I cannot remember what state you were supposed to be from, but thanks anyway.

By Lyne Tremblay (24.203.135.24) on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 06:52 pm:

Bonjour John,

Your portrayal of Moseby Lovelace is one of the most memorable of all the characters on Combat. What a Southern charmer he is! You had a great presence and great lines in THE SQUAD. It's so enjoyable to watch. I'm sorry that your character didn't stay on for more episodes. I think Moseby would have made a good addition to the cast, creating different interactions and chemistry for the others. (But I wonder, with Moseby's charming, pleasant-mannered efficiency, if the show wouldn't have been over sooner, being that he might have wound up taking every German prisoner within a short time. :-> )

Please accept my sincere Holiday greetings for yourself and your family. And thank you for giving us this insight into the filming of THE SQUAD. We always love to hear memories and stories from the people who were there.

Lyne Tremblay,

PFC

Visit CombatFan.com  
for information about Vic Morrow, Rick Jason and all the Combat cast!

: