Healers in World War II:
Oral Histories of Medical Corps Personnel
by Pat Sewell
Description: Dr. Logan W. Hovis parachuted onto Corregidor with the 503rd
Regimental Combat Team. Dr. Jeremiah Henry Holleman served with the 89th Division all the
way into Germany, liberating a concentration camp. Nurse Mary A. Breeding, five feet tall,
100 pounds, served with the 174th General Hospital in France. Dr. Vincent Stephen Conti
was awarded a Bronze Star for fighting typhus in Naples, Italy.
These accounts and 31 others covering the heroics of 44 individuals working in the
Medical Corps are gathered here by editor Patricia W. Sewell. Firsthand accounts are given
by doctors, nurses, ambulance drivers, front-line medics, Navy corpsmen, medical personnel
who served on air evacuation teams and hospital ships, and others who functioned in many
different capacities. Autobiographies, interviews, letters and cassette tapes helped
compose most of these narratives.
Amazon US Price Canada
Table of Contents for
Healers in WWII: Oral Histories of Medical Corps Personnel
- A Medic Tells His Story
- Recollections of an Infantry Battalion Doctor
Frank R. Ellis, M.D.
- Dr. Kurt Lekisch
- "How Long You Been Here, Boy?"
Alan King, M.D.
- The Neapolitan Typhus Epidemic
Vincent Stephen Conti, M.D.
- One Hundred Pounds and Five Feet Tall
Mary A. Breeding
- Beanie, Ernie, and More
James marion Kirtley, M.D.
- From Med School to France
Shelly M. Strain, M.D.
- Nearsighted and Flatfooted
Stanley A. Kornblum, M.D.
- A World War II Remembrance of Luis Castillo
- Picking Up the Dead
- The Miracle Day
Desmond T. Doss
George S. Barnes, M.D.
- From the States to Down Under
Samuel E. Warshauer, M.D.
- Into Enemy Fire
Arthur V. O'Connell
- ASTRP and an "Opportunity"
Daniel Seftel, M.D.
- A Physician Scientist in the Army
Richard J. Bing, M.D.
Logan W. Hovis, M.D.
- Medical Supply
Glen A. Fookes
- An Unbroken Chain
Jeremiah Henry Holleman, M.D.
Gregory S. Kirchner
- "Young and Foolish as We Were"
Daniel E. DiIaconi, M.D.
- Ambulance Driver in the Italian Campaign
- "I Was Doing Something Good"
- "You Did What You Had to Do"
Julia Parrish Sadler
- The BalkanNurses
Judith A. Bellafair and Diane Burke Fessler
- POW of the Germans
Richard John Feltham, M.D.
- The CBI Theater
Thomas J. McKenna, M.D.
- H.M.N.Z.H.S. Maunganui
Herbert Matthew Robson and Grace Robson
- The U.. Army Nurse Corps
Lee Threlkeld Jansak
- Physical Therapy in the South Pacific
- British Red Cross Nurse
- Treating the Wounded in the Battle of the Bulge
Henry M. Hills, Jr., M.D.
- Memories of Naval Medicine in World War II
Norton L. Francis, M.D.
- More on the War
Hardcover: 288 pages ;
Dimensions (in inches): 0.62 x 9.03 x 6.00
Publisher: McFarland & Company;
other recommended WWII books:
Recommended World War II books:
Healers in World War II - Oral Histories of Medical Corps Personnel
Combat Surgeon - Up Front with the 27th Marines
A War of Nerves - Soldiers and Psychiatrists in the Twentieth Century