Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: About the Actors: Dick Peabody: Dick Peabody Remembered
Dick Peabody
In Memorium

Please use this area to share your memories of our beloved Dick. Your messages and memories will be sent to Tina, his wife.
By Katja Harder (Animal) on Unrecorded Date:

It seems futile to try to express what I feel at this moment. This is one of those times when words are totally inadequate. I am shocked and saddened by this news. I had never meet Dick, but yet I felt I knew him personally. The grief that I feel (that many of us feel) is as if we had lost a close friend or family member. Tina, I hope you can take comfort in the fact that millions of us who never met him, loved him. That says a lot about a person. I'm sure you will get hundreds of poems and sentiments, but I would like to share the following poem with you. I do not know the author; it was sent to me by a friend when I lost someone very, very close.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush of quite birds
in circled flight,
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there, I did not die.

In sympathy,
Katja Harder

By Rose Ann Schrock (Carbine) on Unrecorded Date:

What can you say? What can you say when you have never met a man but you feel like you just lost a dear old friend? Each one of the Combat cast are special to me, almost as special as family. When I heard that our Dick died, I was shocked and saddened. I know that Tina's loss will be felt by all the thousands of fans who never met him, but have come to love that gentle giant. He is resting in a better place, but that cannot feel the void of loss in us. Dick was a friend, a mentor, a role model, and a brother to many of us that he never met. These words sound like a rehearsed speech, but they come straight from my heart.

Earth holds no sorrows that heaven cannot heal.

In Sympathy,
Rose Schrock

By Patricia Sewell (Patsewell) on Unrecorded Date:

I would just like to express my sorrow at the passing of Dick Peabody. I only knew him from his acting appearances, especially on COMBAT, as well as his writing,but I sensed a man who felt deeply about what he held dear. He touched many lives without realizing it. May you take comfort in knowing that he will be missed by many whom he never knew admired him.

By J.J. Fowler (Panzertrak) on Unrecorded Date:

I'am too surprised and saddened by his death. I never did ever meet Dick but after watching countless episodes of Combat I felt that he was a good person. I'll always remember him as "Littlejohn", the quiet giant of a man with a heart of gold. As a kid back than I sometimes wish I could of been good enough to march with "K" Company and been part of a wonderful team.

Rest In Peace

By Sandy Marshall (Smarshall) on Unrecorded Date:

I am so saddened to hear of the loss of Dick Peabody, "Littlejohn". I would like to express my deepest sympathies to his family and would like them to know how much he will be sorely missed. He has meant a great deal to a great many people and he will be forever in our hearts.

By rich e landers (Sundance) on Unrecorded Date:

America has lost not only a great actor but a gentle man who is loved by those who knew him from the action show "Combat!" We will miss you Dick... you will always have a special place in our hearts. See you in heaven..we'll miss you buddy!

By Dana Eugene Creasy (Deecee322) on Unrecorded Date:

I always thought that Dick's acting talents were often overlooked. After all, he made his living mainly as a voice-over artist and in radio. I started in radio, before my brief acting stint, and know and can appreciate his many talents in all of these fields. I spent many years as a journalist and television producer, before moving up in to the so-called executive suites. But thinking of people like Dick and Lowell, doing what they loved best, always helped me remember from wence I came. Thank you Dick, for helping me in that. Tina, I would love to read more of Dick's columns from the newspapers, if they are available. His remembrances of the show, the cast and crew and the business were always very valuable to me and I often re-read them time and again. He truly was a giant of a man striding gently on the earth. For all his fans, my mother, prior to her own death, told me that you keep loved ones alive in your hearts by talking about them. We shall continue to do so about Vic and Dick and all our other friends and family so that they may live on within our humble lives.

By Gregory Charles Natsch (Savoy6) on Unrecorded Date:

I grew up watching COMBAT. Little John was my favorite character. I later grew up to join the military when it was not popular. I was shocked today and saddened to see news of Dick's death. He seemed, to me anyway, to be the voice of reason for the unit. Now,looking back I can see the "acting" for each character, but Dick Peabody seemed to be natural, believable, a common guy. That is the same qualities that made the foot soldier in the WWII army, regular guys fighting together. He will be missed.

By Holly Romo (Holly) on Unrecorded Date:

i never met mr. peabody, but he was an important part of my family. my oldest son joined the army 2 years ago. my second son just graduated from marine boot camp. when asked why they joined the military, both say that someone has to be willing to stand up and fight for freedom, and since they are capable of doing that, it is their duty to do it.
each of them credits much of their devotion to duty and honor to watching combat!. characters like littlejohn showed them men who were willing to go the last mile for something that was right. and that there are things worth dying for.
i am and will always be grateful to dick peabody for portraying with such realism a character that helped me to teach my sons to be true men. he lives on in the lives of my sons, and many others. may he rest in peace.

By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

Dear Tina,

I offer you my condolences and deep sympathy in your greatest time of grief and sorrow. I want you to know how your husband affected my life.

The first crush I ever had occurred when I was 15 years old. Joseph, the same age as I, was already 6 feet, 6 inches tall, and looked very much like Littlejohn of Combat!, so of course I fell head over heels for him at first sight! He was a gentle individual, very slow to anger, and careful never to anger others, lest he be forced to use his great strength against a smaller adversary. This was exactly what I imagined Dick Peabody to be like in real life! That was over 20 years ago.

Recently, thinking a painful back injury would keep Dick from the Recon2000, I wrote the Combat Forum piece, “Dick Peabody – A Call To Arms”, in hopes it would bring a smile to his face, and I then began the “Littlejohn Gems” dialogue compilation. Unfortunately, that tribute wasn’t completed until the morning of December 27th. Then came the announcement of your husband's passing, so it was with the deepening sadness and regret that I submitted the piece for publication. I say regret because I procrastinated getting it done and Dick never got to read it, and know how much I honored him. But I realize now that Dick is at peace, free from pain and suffering. If there really is a heaven then Dick is there and already knows how much he is loved by his family, friends and fans.

By Ronald Purviance (Ronpur) on Unrecorded Date:

Goodbye Little John. It was a great run, wasn't it? Thank you so much for the memories and for sharing your great talent with the rest of us. Say hello to Vic for us, OK?

Ronald Purviance,
Tampa, FL

By Nathaniel Bridger (Nathaniel) on Unrecorded Date:

Dick, in his unforgettable way, served his country by putting a human face to history, and making concrete for us all the joys and tribulations of the American Fighting Man. I salute him.

By Brock Manfred (Block) on Unrecorded Date:

I was very saddened by the news of Dick's passing.It is noted that he has only moved to another plane of existence, where I'm sure he will bring a laugh, smile or possibly a tear with his unique gifts. I had noted many of Dick's roles after the Combat show left the air.He was always a believable actor, which is my idea of what an actor should strive for.I understand Dick was also active in broadcasting and writing, although I wasn't able to hear or read his work, I'm sure it stood up well. Dick seemed like a genuine, decent person. His portrayal of Littlejohn is the one I'll always recall. He gave Littlejohn those qualities, and portrayed the best qualities of the man, which I'm sure he drew from himself.
At ease Dick, your valiant struggle here has ended. Rest assured, as long as we have a means to view or recall Combat, you achieved the "fame" you sought. You gave us Littlejohn, who will be with us always as a reminder of the best qualities a man can engender. He was calm under pressure, loyal and compassionate.
Thank you.

By mike sonnessa (Sonny_michaels) on Unrecorded Date:

I'm sad. Another piece of my past is now gone and it reminds me of my father's passing back in '93. He was of the same generation and I can never see an episode of COMBAT! nor visit this site without remembering. So, in a way, I feel like I've again lost a father, or at least a friend. Godspeed "Littlejohn." See ya some other time, some other place..

By Oscar Cardoso on Unrecorded Date:

Quisiera decir que nunca olvidaré la mejor serie de guerra que haya visto en tv. Dick, era sobre todo uno de los personajes más duros y humanos que se hayan logrado en la televisión. En mi corazón "Combat!" será siempre la mejor.

Visit CombatFan.com  
for information about Vic Morrow, Rick Jason and all the Combat cast!

: