Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: Book and Movie Reviews: When Trumpets Fade
By Rick Yoshida (Flyboy) on Unrecorded Date:

When Trumpets Fade

Had heard about this movie about a year ago but just recently picked up a copy for under ten bucks. This movie deals with a forgotten campaign in the fall of 1944, the battle of Hurtgen Forest. This is usually overlooked because the Battle of the Bulge is launched by the Germans shortly later.

The movie is in some ways better than "Saving Private Ryan". It didn't have the budget as SPR but I felt almost caring more with the characters. Filmed on location in Hungary which gives it a real believable setting. The forest, the mud, the shelling and the maddness abound throughout.

Stars Ron Eldard, Frank Whaley, Martin Donovan and a surprising Dwight Yoakam. Rated R for language and violence, color, dolby surround, running time 92 minutes.

By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

As good as "Saving Private Ryan" is, I liked "When Trumpets Fade" much, much more. I've watched it again and again. "WTF" was a powerful and incredible 'sleeper' that unfortunately didn't get the praise it so richly deserves.

By Sharon Hazlett (Ivy) on Unrecorded Date:

I agree "When Trumpets Fade" is a top notch movie, realistic and at times very intense. Ron Eldard is excellent, I keep wondering if he made it back in the end - if Doc were there he'd be saying "it doesn't look good".
I don't know if this was Dwight Yoakam's first movie gig but he was pretty good. Does anyone else notice that Dwight always wears a hat - be it a Stetson, GI Helmet or toque. No offence Dwight, love the music and Gap commercial but...what's under the lid??

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: