Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: Book and Movie Reviews: A Midnight Clear
By Sharon Hazlett (Ivy) on Unrecorded Date:

A Midnight Clear is definitely worth a look. It's set in the Ardennes forest near the French/German border, mid Dec. 1944. Six young & frightened GIs, the remaining members of an intellegence & recon squad, encounter a company of German soldiers. The Germans know the end of the war is near and are trying to make it through without getting killed. The two groups attempt a peace but a misunderstanding leads to tragic results.

Cast- Ethan Hawk, Gary Sinise, Peter Berg
Rated R, running time 107 min.
I'd rate this one 3 bayonets.

By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

A Midnight Clear has some of the most powerful visual images I've ever seen in a movie. There is one scene in which the squad has just entered an abandoned country manor in midwinter. They react to an unidentified sound and stand poised ready to fire upon the enemy. To their amazement they find that it is only a doe that enters the main hall from another room and gingerly walks towards, then finally past them and out of the house. All the while these young men, these trained killers, are transfixed as if they are the lost hunters of some ancient Nordic legend. Hunters who have been transported by a vengeful Snow Queen to a fantastic world of silence, snow and ice.

Another is the image of the men as they carry the body of their most loved squad member back to American lines, all wearing Red Cross emblems that have been painted on their helmets with the dead man's blood. Another is the look of disbelief on the young sergeant's face, when he learns that he must take his men out again, without respite from the devastation they have just survived. This movie will haunt your dreams. It is one flick you will want revisit, time and again, as I do.

I give this movie 4 bayonets.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: