Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: Book and Movie Reviews: Saving Private Ryan: A Modern Combat
By Rose Ann Schrock (Carbine) on Unrecorded Date:

I watched Saving Private Ryan because I was told that it revolved around a group of GI's fighting on the Normandy front in France of 1944, which reminded me of Combat! SPR was a very good movie, though some parts are very gory.

Any Combat fan can pick out some major connections between Combat and this movie. Doesn't that wise, battle
hardened Sargeant Horvath remind you of Saunders?
And what about Reiben the big mouth and Kirby? A compassionate medic named Wade and our Doc? A seemingly tough but secretly sympathetic Captain Miller and our Lt. Hanley?

Why, this movie even keeps the same "war is hell" atmosphere. Yes, it's the 90's, so effects and morals have changed,but much of the basics are still there. Recommended to any Combat fans who want to watch a realistic Omaha Beach scene.

I loved Combat! but was disappointed that the producers made one of the toughest battles for King Co. into a picnic. If you had never heard of D-Day, you would get the impression that it was a piece of cake by watching A Day In June. The serious scenes are crushed between all the humor.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: