Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: Book and Movie Reviews: "Hell Is For Heroes"
By 349hvywpnscrew (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

Watched "Hell is for Heroes", that I got through the Combat! bookstore. This is a GOOD movie. I give it 3 bayonets, and recommend it to new recruits (of which I still consider myself). Better still is "Battleground", but I'll talk about that in another post.

There are many similarities between "Hell" and Combat! The cinemagraphic style, and the theme music - it is hauntingly similar to that of Combat! There are similarities with some of the characters as well - take the friendship between Pike and Reese.

Barring Combat! episodes like "Survival", "Hell" grittier than the series ever got. But then in those days movies could get away with things tv sponsors wouldn't put up with.

My only disappointment with "Hell" is that it didn't delve into Pvt. Reese's character more. What makes him crack up at the thought of going home? Why does he prefer to risk his life on the line than live far more safely as a civilian? I've thought of all sorts of theories, but it would've been nice if the movie had given us something tangible.

By the end of the movie you ultimately do feel for Reese, whose life crowning achievement proves that "Hell IS for Heros".

Your friendly 349th,
Heavy Weapons Crew

By 349hvywpnscrew (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

Panhandle gave me permission to share this response to my review of "Hell is for Heroes". So long, from your friendly 349th Heavy Weapons Crew (a.k.a. Nancy LionStorm)

Panhandle said:
aha! one of my faves!... 'hell' is a perfect example of the existential hero. reese has no desire to return to 'real life.' how could he go on after having seen what he's seen and done what he's done? the violence has destroyed his soul, so he just goes ahead and destroys his life. reese is a loner, but sees the need of cooperation to survive--even tho he's not really sure if he wants to survive. war has honed his survivalist nature. reese is a good forefather of saunders. saunders somehow manages to maintain sanity and keep the war in balance--never in check--and becomes the ultimate survivor. reese does not.--panhandler

By Horatius Cocles (Horatius) on Unrecorded Date:

When I was in the Army I knew some guys like Reese. They do great in the field or direct combat environments where the rules are simple and loose. They screw up royal in the rear ares durring war or in the garrison in a peace-time Army. So, eventually they quit or get kicked out and ABSOLUTELY don't fit in the snivilian world. They usually end up as bums, or in prison, or dead as a result of some self inflicted stupidity or other.

By Jim Lynch on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 11:40 pm:

I love the movie "HELL IS FOR HEROES",they dont call Steve McQueen "The King of Cool " for nothing . He stole every scene he was in, earned,is probably a better word. Like when he speaks
German to the woman bartender , and she slips up and answers in German and goes to bash him with the bottle .He laughs at her! ha ha, Noticed at
the end when he shoved the satchel charge in the pillbox , if you put it on frame advance, he disappears from in front of the slit just before
it blows, understandable ,but they could have put a dummy there or something.Another part I liked was when he's asking for the sign and countersign.."apple"..and "cobbler", the German says "PIE", and gets a grenade thrown at him,
the funny part is the Germans cry of pain,YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAA!!Sounded comically exaggerated , I loved it!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: