Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: Book and Movie Reviews: Tank Commandos (1959)
By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

Hi ya, Everyone!

Caught this gem this morning on AMC:

Forty-five Apple, an Ammo and Demolition unit, is assigned the recon mission of determining how the Germans are crossing a deep river to refortify an Italian city with tanks and supplies. These combat-weary 'demo' experts resent doing recon, having to take risks and face dangers normally left to "mud sloshers" (Infantry). The film focuses on the experiences and reactions of two men: Pvt. Sonny Lazzotti (the group's interpreter) and Lt. Jim Blaine, their commanding officer. Later, after the secret of the hidden route is revealed, the team goes into action and you get to see demolition techniques and procedures that I don't think were ever before portrayed a in WWII movie.

The film makes up for its lack of Star power with exceptionally realistic dialogue, performances, plot, and hard-hitting direction. "Tank Commandos" has a convincing, matter-of-fact feel to it that somehow reminds me of the Korean War movie, "Pork Chop Hill".

It airs again on Tuesday Feb. 15th, 4:35 AM Pacific Time on AMC. You've just got to catch this one. If you don't get AMC then you may be able to rent it. It was once out on video, but is not now available from either Amazon.com or Reel.com.

By J.J. Fowler (Panzertrak) on Unrecorded Date:

Tanks alot Nancy for the info (hahaha)..will remember to catch it on the AMC channel. Any good flick about tanks and I'll be there. Thinking of ordering the Russian Liberation film series, covers the biggest tank slugfest of all-time, the battle of Kursk in 1943..like too much, only problem is it doesn't come in sub-titles..oh well but I hear the action scenes are great. Later...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: