Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: Book and Movie Reviews: The Night That Panicked America
By 349hwc on Unrecorded Date:

Quote:

Vic played a man with marital problems. Just going through life with the wife and two kiddies. He’s looking at his life and not seeing many of his dreams fulfilled and he wants out. He is getting ready to leave when [they hear] the broadcast of "The War of the Worlds". Of course the family thinks it’s real and they panic, but at least they do it together. He does a really good job in it. His character is kinda mousy; dark-rimmed glasses and all. I swear, that boy can play anything and come off looking good. – Filly

This really was a 3-stars, even if it is only a TV movie! And back when it was made (1975) that was rare indeed. “The Night That Panicked America” shows what happened to five fictitious groups of people who didn't realize that they were listening to a radio play. From rich millionaires to humble, over stressed, out-of-work Hank Muldoon (Vic Morrow), these five groups represented the over one million people across America who actually thought that the broadcast was fact, not fiction.

First off, everything Filly said in the quoted mini-review at the COMBAT Forum VCR Alert was right on the money!

I really felt for these characters, every single one of them. I felt their confusion and uncertainty, their rising anxiety, and finally the sheer panic that sent them stampeding to escape the awful death they believed was immanent. My heart went out to those one million real life Americans who more than 60 years ago, suffered hysteria, heart attacks or worse.

I will NOT spoil this movie by telling you the climax involving the Muldoon family. I will only say that when Mrs. Muldoon begged her husband (Vic) to perform a final act of mercy, I began to wail and cry. (Oh, my poor upstairs neighbors) If you have to 'beg, borrow or steal' in order to get a hold of this flick - DO SO!

~ 349th Heavy Weapons Crew

By joan on Unrecorded Date:

there were 3 childrens one boy and 2 girls..i taped it last night as it came on at 3am on sci/fi and watched it this morning and remmembered i had watched it when it was on the first run back in the 70's.i'm try to tape all the show vic morrow are in most are on the pay station and i don't have them. joan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: