Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: Book and Movie Reviews: "The Enemy Below" story of psychological warfare in WWII
By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

Before anyone gets me wrong I want to clarify that the loyalty I so much admire in "The Enemy Below" is the U-boat Captain's loyalty to his best friend and the men of his ship, not to Der Fuher.

By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

I just saw a flick that took me by complete surprise. I haven’t felt this way since “Das Boot” first came out. If you haven’t seen this yet let me tell you right now that it’s definitely a PSYCHOLOGICAL drama that doesn’t skimp on tension or action. IMO Curt Jurgens could have easily been nominated for Best Actor for his portrayal of the anti-Nazi U-boat Captain. As I viewed this movie for the first time I actually rewound and REWATCHED every scene that revealed the inner workings of these two men’s hearts and souls.

When you see the Germans lose the battle of psychological warfare, you’ll want to cry for their captain’s heroism, and unassailable loyalty. YES, you will want to cry for the enemy. And when you see how that is matched by Capt. Murell’s humanity and courage YOU WILL BE BLOWN RIGHT OUT OF THE WATER!

Even if you're like me and not particularly interested in how WWII was fought on the high seas, you’ll regret it the rest of your life if you don't see “The Enemy Below”. And if you don't believe me then just look at the critics and viewers reviews at Amazon.com. It’s being shown this month on Encore’s Action Channel. I’d love to hear from ANYONE with Navel experience what your opinion of this movie is. For that matter I’d love to hear from movie buffs as well. Now I’m going out and looking for the novel by Commander D. A. Raymer.

Note: link information added by moderator -- "Das Boot" available from Amazon.com in DVD, VHS dubbed in English, and VHS sub-titled in English and widescreen.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: