Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: Book and Movie Reviews: Scrapbooks of My Mind: A Hollywood Autobiography
By Nancy LionStorm (349hwc) on Unrecorded Date:

Whether you’ve admired Rick Jason since his early roles on stage and film, or first set your eyes on him in “COMBAT!” - the longest-running and only one hour television series about World War Two - you’ll love “Scrapbooks of My Mind: A Hollywood Autobiography”.

Mr. Jason has had an acting career spanning 50 years. His stage career was launched to impressive critical reviews. He then went on to star and feature in Hollywood films, make two television series, and become a regular in America’s longest lasting soap opera, as well as guest starring in numerous television shows.

Mr. Jason is the consummate storyteller and his depiction of the rise and fall, then phoenix-like rebirth of the Jason family fortune offers a fascinating look at urban American life in the 1930s and 40s. And you’ll be stunned at how the family’s future balanced on the prophecy of a psychic during the Great Depression.

You’ll get a kick out of Rick’s description of his time in the Army during World War Two. You’ll learn how one officer’s anti-Semitism landed Rick in the stockade! You’ll marvel at how the timely intervention an Army friend and the judicious application of theatrics saved him from a life sentence! What a loss it would have been to movie and television audiences everywhere if Mr. Jason’s fascinating talent hadn’t been allowed to flower.

Mr. Jason’s Hollywood experience demonstrates how the old studio system made or hampered careers, for reasons that had nothing to do with actors’ talent. And Rick is refreshingly candid about his five marriages as well. And he reveals for the first time to the public how these women profoundly effected his personal growth and career.

Rick writes about his time on “COMBAT!” and tells us about his relationship with the show’s co-star, the late Vic Morrow. Mr. Jason describes the nature of their friendship and how he felt (and still feels) about that actor’s tragic death during the making of the 1982, “Twilight Zone: the Movie.” In addition, Mr. Jason tells about his longtime friendship with the late Dick Peabody, a fellow cast member on “COMBAT!

A pleasant surprise awaits you at the end of Rick Jason’s autobiography. For this successful entrepreneur is not only a multi-talented actor and craftsman, but a gourmet chef as well. To our everlasting delight, Mr. Jason shares his favorite recipes with his readers. And these are real gems! I’ve already tried several and can honestly say that I don’t know how I could have lived so long without Rick’s succulent scones with English Double Devon cream or eaten buffalo (as I do) with Rick’s Quick Game Sauce.

Mr. Jason’s acting career may not be over yet because as fans from the U.S. and Canada ready themselves to attend the October 6-8 “COMBAT!” cast reunion (aka Recon 2000) in Las Vegas, they also eagerly anticipate the making of a “COMBAT!” movie. A film Bruce Willis has expressed an interest in making, I hear. As one of these fans it is my fervent hope that Mr. Jason will have a theatrical role in the remake of “COMBAT!”, the best dang one-hour program to EVER hit television.

But most of all you'll find that Mr. Jason is a man to respect and admire. A man who simply would not compromise his autonomy and integrity!

From Walnut Creek, California, this is your friendly 349th Heavy Weapons Crew (aka Nancy LionStorm) saying good night as I cuddle up to re-read the jubilant, “Scrapbooks of My Mind: A Hollywood Autobiography” by Rick Jason.

By Hazelnut on Unrecorded Date:

Thanks a lot for the nice book review, HWC. Can you believe that I haven't read it yet? I will read it soon, though, and am sure that I will enjoy it as much as you. IMHO Rick is the best thing that ever hit television, then and now!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: