Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: Book and Movie Reviews: "THE WAYWARD BUS" starring Rick Jason
By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

Jealousy and alcoholism takes their toll on the married owners of a small-time bus company, located in the Southwest close to the Mexican boarder, in this John Steinbeck story. The couple's financial and marital problems come to a boiling point when a tropical storm forces hasty decisions upon these two star-crossed lovers. There are several hair-raising moments as the intrepid Mr. Chicoy maneuvers his wayward bus through landslides, raging floodwaters and hairpin mountain turns. Despite these many obstacles I came away believing there was hope for this unhappy couple.

Solid performances are what really make this movie. Rick Jason sensitively portrays the main character, Johnny Chicoy, a half-Mexican/half-Irish, bus driver/mechanic. Mr. Jason finely balances his conflicted character's warring emotions. Joan Collins does a good job as Johnny's unhappy, despairing, alcoholic wife and owner of the 'Rebel Corners' bus stop and restaurant.

Jane Mansfield gives a surprisingly low-keyed and sympathetic performance as the hard-bitten call girl that secretly dreams of love and marriage. Dan Daily, in a role he was born for, gives her as good as he gets in the battle of words. Both are well suited for their roles.

A thoroughly enjoyable movie with an ending that had me on my feet cheering as I wiped the tears from my eyes!

Based on the John Steinbeck novel.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: