Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: Episodes: Any Second Now: Any Second Now: A Great Acting Job With A Poor Plot
By Rose Ann Schrock (Carbine) on Unrecorded Date:

Any Second Now was one of the very first Combat episodes that I ever saw. I was already in love with the Lt. Hanley character, so I expected to adore this episode. I was amazed at how little I liked this one, but I do Not blame Rick Jason for this. His acting (complete with great facial expressions!) was delightful and expressive. The guest stars on this episode were very good too, so I guess it must have been the plot. You can only watch a handsome, frightened Lt. lay close to an exploding bomb for so long without losing intrest. It was just too dragged out in my opinion. The only thing that saved it was the great acting and dialogue. (And, of course, Hanley's 200 Watt smile!)

Rose

By Judith on Unrecorded Date:

Dear Rose,
Like you, I'm a Rick Jason fan. I've seen "Any Second Now" about a dozen times and haven't tired of it yet, probably for the reasons you cited. I did notice that the length of time spent diffusing the bomb as well as the Brit's lecture on the fusing mechanisms, seemed a bit drawn out but it was worth it, to see our favorite lieutenant show the Brit what Yank's are made of. In addition, Hanley had the opportunity to demonstrate how charming he could be to the ladies, which was a rare occurance thoughout the remainder of the series.
Judith

I agree, Judith. It is nice to be able to see the side of Hanley that is charming, although very brief. I think that must be the reason why I always put up with the lousy plot enough to watch it over and over again.

Rose

By Judith Balcewicz (Judith) on Unrecorded Date:

Dear Rose,
Have you seen every episode and if so, do you have a favorite? Mine is "Hills are for Heroes". By the way, I was curious when you first discovered Combat. I watched it when it aired in the sixties then rediscovered it in "98". After so many years, all I remembered about the show, was Rick Jason's character, so it seemed as if I was seeing it for the first time.
Judith

Judith,
Yes, I have seen every episode at least ten times!
I first started watching the show about 3 years ago, at the age of 13. I always liked historical shows anyway, and it seemed very interresting. Also, because of the high moral content, I could watch it with my younger brothers, without fear of foul language or sexual scenes. Over time, I came to love the show, and each character in it.
I don't even have to think for one minute to list my favorite episode...it is Hills Are For Heroes.
I will never forget when I saw it for the first time. The images would not leave my mind. I could not sleep that night. When Hanley began to fall apart, I fell apart. That is when I became an official Gil's Gal. I wanted to comfort that young officer who had been torn apart by war when all he should have had to worry about is girls and a good time. All the acting was first rate. I loved it... Rose
PS: Are you a member of the discussion list? I just joined and it is a lot of fun!! We have big discussions every day.

By Judith Balcewicz (Judith) on Unrecorded Date:

Hi, Rose. No, I'm not a member, but you've piqued my curiosity, so I may just give it a try. Thanks for the invite.
Judith

By smarshall on Unrecorded Date:

Hi Rose and Judith,

Please excuse my joining your conversation, but I too would love to join the discussion list. How do I go about this? I love watching Combat! and I think the actors are absolutely the greatest!

By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

Hi ya Everyone!

To join the Combat Discussion List go back to the Combat Home page then at the top click on "Fandom". Once you're at the Fandom page read the instructions and click on the highlighted words "discussion list". Nancy Durgin, aka White Rook, will then contact you when she has added you to the List. See you there!

By smarshall on Unrecorded Date:

Thanks Nancy,

I appreciate your help!

Welcome to the family guys! Now you can be a part of the list. Pick out a good nickname. Make sure that you both E mail me and tell me your list name so I can recognize you. My nickname is Hazelnut. I am a Hanley fan, get it? (Hint: watch A Day In June) My E mail address is below. You'll love the list. We are all friends there and we send each other all kinds of cool mail. I joined about a month ago..See you there!!
deans@zoomnet.net

By rkw8s on Unrecorded Date:

I'm a Lt. Hanley fan too. When I watched COMBAT in the 60s and 70s, I watched it for the action. Now, I watch it mostly for Lt. Hanley. Can anyone sell me videos of episodes with Lt. Hanley such as Any Second Now, Escape to Nowhere, The Quiet Warrior, Weep No More, Rescue, The Enemy, Evasion, Finest Hour, The Raiders, The FLying Machine, A Rare Vintage, etc...

Visit CombatFan.com  
for information about Vic Morrow, Rick Jason and all the Combat cast!

: