Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: Episodes: Hostages, (The): "The Hostages"--"Doc" as a soldier
By Pat Sewell on Unrecorded Date:

This is at the top of my favorite episodes. We finally get to see what is going on inside of Doc. He shows that he knows how to take charge when needed, and that he isn't a "weak link" that the Germans can intimidate. He was much like this in "The Long Way Home" when he was interrogated by Richard Basehart.

When he is forced to physically fight back, he doesn't hesitate for a moment. The final scene whwen Saunders must tell him that the German officer is dead stands out in my memory. The expression on Doc's face at that moment is poignant as this man who normally fights to save lives realizes that he has just taken one.

By Craig Rothhammer (Gueststar) on Unrecorded Date:

This episode recently aired in Los Angeles and my wife watched the entire episode. She has always been a closet COMBAT! junkie and her favorite character is Doc. She typically watches about half of the show and later asks me what happened.
At the end of this show, she says "Way to go Doc!, you had to off that Nazi Bas***d!"
I completely agree with the comments by Pat Sewell, and the last scene has always stayed with me also.
Its too bad that Hans Gudegasts' role was somewhat tame once again (as it was in "The Sniper"), and we all had to wait until he starred in The Rat Patrol to see the depth he could bring to a character, given the chance. Must have been a bummer to always lose though.....but, bad guys always have bad aim! Hee hee!

By Melissa Roberts (Medic) on Unrecorded Date:

I've gotta say this is my favorite episode. Doc (Conlan Carter's Doc) is my favorite character, and he shines in this episode. He well deserved his nomination for this ep. Being a paramedic myself, I can't imagine how badly I would feel if I had to take a life. You could just see the frustration on Doc's face as he desperately tried to find a truck. Conlan Carter has such an expressive face. When Doc's driving the Germans in the ambulance, you can see the wheels turning as he tries to figure a way out for himself, Caje, and Saunders. As a paramedic, I can say Conlan Carter had Doc pegged. He had compassion, empathy, and courage. He felt frustration when he couldn't help, and put his patients first. I noticed on an ep recently, that he also had a wide sarcastic streak. Anyway, this episode stands out as one of the best.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: