Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: Episodes: Flying Machine, (The): The Flying Machine Review
By George Lewis (192.104.54.13) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 05:31 pm:

While I would agree that Lt. Hanley makes it possible for the repair of the plane to happen he does not single-handedly save the day. The review seems to imply that Hanley does it all. Not true. The farmer, after some reluctance, and fear for his farm because he is afraid the Germans will destroy it, is the person who distracts the Germans while Hanley steals the gas, and it is the farmer who begins dismantling the wall until he manages to get the Germans to actually help him do it. Regarding the repair of the plane, Keenan Wynn tells Hanley exactly what he needs. Yes, Hanley does manage to get everything, again with the help of the farmer, but Wynn's character is the one primarily fixing the plane. Well, Hanley does help him by lifting the wing in order for Wynn's character to insert a bolt. I would agree that it is not the best episode, but it is not bad, and involves more teamwork than implied in the review.

By Daniela Espejo (200.42.57.145) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 07:01 pm:

I agree with you. The episode is quite good. I've been working on subtitling of this episode to spanish. Do you know the name of the plane? Thanks!

By George Lewis (192.104.54.13) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 10:17 am:

I don't really know for sure what kind of plane it is, although it does look something like the Piper J-3 Cub. They (or versions of it) were used during WWII for lots of things, including the way it was used in this episode.

Visit CombatFan.com  
for information about Vic Morrow, Rick Jason and all the Combat cast!

: