Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: EpisodesThe Greatest Conflict - 3 Bayonets!
By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

Someone once told me he knew a man in his squad who went through a similar spiritual crisis during WWII. Listening to him speak passionately on that subject gave me a deep appreciation for the episode, "Lost Sheep, Lost Shepherd", a powerful psychological drama.

Imagine, longing for something sacred that you think is loss to you forever. Not for something that is a part of the secular world, but for that which lies at the deepest core of your being - the knowledge God loves, accepts and forgives you. Imagine what it's like to have once experienced that state of grace, then to have it taken away in such an obvious manifestation as being kicked out of seminary school just before you are to begin your ministry.

When compared to the millions of lives lost in World War II this may seem insignificant. But what I love most about COMBAT! is that it brings us close to the personal struggles of the men who gave their lives for our freedom. Thus, while Sgt. Dane’s actions may at first seem unfathomable and even despicable, they make sense once we learn that he is a 'spoiled' priest.

I'm grateful that I got to see this episode again after so many decades because this time around a lot of its nuances began to make sense.

Sgt. Dane shooting the church steeple: as I see it he hates the (C/c)hurch because he hates himself. The Church may be the religious institution that rejected him for the violence of his character, but the little French church reminds him that he continually betrays the deepest tenant of his religion - "Thou shalt not kill". Awash in this tangle of feelings his impulse to destroy the steeple (and the cross sitting at its apex), makes sense. He's trying to destroy that which reminds him of the torment that plagues him night and day. Later, when he throws the wine bottle at his reflection in the mirror you know that all the jibing of his fellow tankers, all their anger, hatred and contempt for his status as a spoiled priest can not be as bad as what he feels for himself.

I once wondered why Dane would check out buildings that had already been cleared by the rest of squad. Why he went through this seemingly unnecessary an exercise. But is now clear to me that it is to avoid the one thing he believes he really needs to do - confess and ask for absolution. As I watched this particular scene hit me that this is probably the first time he's been in church since being kicked out of seminary school.

IMO this is the first episode that really deals with the theme of redemption. When Dane stands before the altar you hear the religiously themed music, which helps you to feel Dane's yearning for forgiveness and acceptance. How ironic that all the while in the cellar below him, the townspeople praying for a different kind of deliverance.

As the Sarge is telling Dane, "and they told me something, something that’s keeping me from putting my hands on you and just throwing you right out in the street", I had to admire Vic Morrow for next doing something so small and yet so powerful. It was such a little thing - he raises his left hand to his forehead - that's all, but at that moment I thought, "Wow, this guy ISN’T acting, he really IS holding himself back from decking Jeff Hunter." Of course I know that wasn’t the case, but Vic made you feel it.

As if THAT wasn’t powerful enough, when Dane next says that he's come so the priest can hear his confession, Vic Morrow subtly shows you all of Saunders' rage being deflected. I don't remember ever seeing Saunders realize that his estimation was wrong about something.

This episode just doesn’t let up for one moment. When Dane prays "say but the word and my soul will be healed" you know that he WANTS to believe it with all his heart. But you can't help but wonder if he truly does believes what he's saying. The first time I saw it I wondered why Dane tries to rescue the townspeople without any help. Now I realize that he figures the only way to rescue them is by stealth. So it makes sense that he dons the cassock in a ruse to trick the German soldiers as they leave the cellar. But his plan also makes sense when you realize that as a 'lost sheep' he feels he must offer up his own life as a sacrifice for the redemption of his own sins. The phrase "gave his life to wash away the sins of the world" came to me, if only to save a few townspeople.

Hanley and Saunders are equally moved by Dane's death. They remove their helmets not only because they are in a church, but also to pay homage to the fallen priest who regained his faith, and to show respect to the soldier who died a hero's death.

In this powerful story about redemption the tragedy is that Sgt. Dane is unable to fully believe in God's forgiveness, with tragic results. I give "Lost Sheep, Lost Shepherd" a solid 3 bayonets for the wonderfully played pathos and the controversial subject matter. So long from your friendly 349th

- Heavy Weapons Crew

Visit CombatFan.com  
for information about Vic Morrow, Rick Jason and all the Combat cast!

: