Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: General Discussion: How did Hanley get his bars?
By Rose Ann Schrock (Carbine) on Unrecorded Date:

Yes, I'm one of those Lt. Hanley fans, and I'm asking a very common question. How did our inexperienced Seargent Hanley get promoted to officer practically overnight while a vet like Saunders stayed a buck noncom? Hanley didn't do anything outstanding, at least not on television.
There's no doubt that he made one heck of an officer and he has the deep voice, good looks, and height to go with it, but how did he get promoted? I think that the producers of Combat should have made an episode to explain how he got his bars. It definitely wasn't A Day In June, which was just routine. So, how did our favorite officer earn his title? Anyone want to answer that?

By Dana Eugene Creasy (Deecee322) on Unrecorded Date:

It was unfortunately fairly common for junior company-grade commissioned officers to survive more than 30 days at the front, especially the inexperienced and early in the Normandy Campaign. See the book, "If You Survive" for more information about this. In general, when a platoon leader was killed in action, his platoon sergeant, which Hanley was, would take over until a new officer was assigned. In practice, once an officer was in the job 90 days, it would be made permanent. His battlefield commission would have held up, especially as second and first lieutenants were dropping like flies. Some were offered the opportunity to return stateside for OCS, some even were given the opportunity to go to West Point, while others, especially like Hanley (a guy with a college degree already in hand) would probably take an in-theater brief OCS training course and be reassigned. However, it was EXCEEDINGLY RARE for a promoted non-comm to return to his original unit as an officer. It just did not normally happen, for obvious reasons, especially as they usually had moved on by then to other locations. However, keep in mind, the original series concept had called for an officer and a sergeant to be the main characters. "A Day In June" was culled from the pilot with added footage. Not having seen the pilot, nor the script, it is impossible to tell if his promotion is explained or not. For other information, see the Van Johnson movie "Go For Broke", where he was promoted from sergeant to second lieutenant and then assigned to the 442nd RCT. Hope this helps.

Hey, thanks a lot! That really helped me out a lot! I wasn't aware of many of these details in army procedures. It at least makes Hanley's transition more believable. It's great to be able to ask questions and get good answers from the other fans.
Rose

By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

Rose, a hilarious 'missing episode' was sent to the COMBAT! Discussion List by a fan that 'explains' how Hanley got his bars. Here it is, I know you will appreciate, Hazelnut.

Quote:

Subject: How Hanley got his bars
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 07:51:43 -0800 (PST)

One miserable, overcast day in late June, a correspondent for U.P.I. was being driven close to the front to pick up on some stories. He couldn't help but notice the tall sergeant standing at the side of the road. Now this correspondent was a card carrying member of the skirt chasers club, but even he was amazed at this slightly disheveled, battle weary soldier. The sergeant took off his helmet, almost on que, revealing a head of thick dark hair. The sun broke out, casting a single beam onto that lone figure. Correspondent had driver slam on the brakes. This was getting better and better. Sergeant turned slightly toward the jeep, arching one perfect eyebrow at the gawking correspondent. Perfect brows framed perfect green eyes which in turn accented a perfectly Homeric nose and the list goes on and on. Correspondent now thinks to himself, "If only this guy can speak!" Correspondent gets out of Jeep, walks over to tall, dark and handsome and asks his name. "Hanley, Sergeant Gil Hanley." Correspondent nearly faints at the deep resonant baritone! BETTER AND BETTER! Correspondent immediately becomes correspondent/promotor!

Being well connected with a certain General Schmoo, correspondent/promotor takes Sergeant Hanley over to meet General with the idea of "Sergeant Hanley - recruitment poster guy extrordinaire!" And with that voice, radio spots! Interviews! The list is endless, but there's just one problem! Sergeant Hanley should become Lieutenant Hanley just because hey, wouldn't he look great in an officer's uniform! Why, the recruitment of new WACs alone would be phenominal!

Can you imagine some young thing in say, Grand Island Nebraska going about her business, walking past the Recruitment Center only to be caught in the mesmerizing stare of those heavenly green eyes, those perfect brows and those teeth! (yes, the posters would have to be color)! So many girls would enlist that after the War, the President would have to declare the WACs official members of the U.S. Army! But wait, said ladies' boyfriends would see the effect of that uniform on the female population and would of course, also enlist en mass! Hey, the uniform does make the man!

This is all well and good, but after the promotion, new Lieutenant Hanley, being the man he is, full of integrity and honor, wants back with his outfit, to fight beside his men, to lead them on to victory and all like that! So, "goodbye Correspondent/Promotor guy!" "Goodbye General Schmoo and thanks so much for these nifty gold bars!" A true hero returns to his men, none the worse for wear and sporting his now famous bars and moniker, Lieuteant Hanley.

End

Don't fault me here for run on paragraphs!

Ash, out

Hi Nancy,
(giggle) You're right, I certainly do appriciate it. I had read this before, however. I joined the list while this same question was going on and I read a lot of hilarious answers. I posted this question again on the site in hopes that I would get some more serious down to earth answers from some of those military experts out there. (Not that it couldn't have happened that way mind you!)
Oh well, thanks anyway for sharing with me. I think that there are 4 missing Combat episodes. The one that explains how Hanley got promoted, a really great Christmas episode, one that tells what happened to Doc Walton and Braddock, and a final episode to conclude the series. Wish we could make more episodes!
Rose (Hazelnut)

By Melissa Roberts (Medic) on Unrecorded Date:

Rose, I agree with your lost episodes listed. I really wish there had been a conclusive episode. I would also have liked an episode explaining Braddock's departure, and the transition between Doc Walton and Conlan Carter's Doc (Don't know what else to call him, we never got a name besides Doc). Although I liked the comic relief Braddock provided, I much prefer Doc #2, so I didn't particularly miss Doc Walton. It's a shame they never did a good Christmas ep. Well, I guess that's where Fanfic comes in. See ya.

By El Chongo de Congo! (Chongo) on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 11:02 pm:

I have a couple of reels of film that are definitely Combat! episodes, but I need some guidance figuring out if they are originals or not. Does anyone have any suggestions, or information on the lost episodes?

--- Chongo

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: