Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: General Discussion: What about the time lapse?
By Rose Ann Schrock (Carbine) on Unrecorded Date:

When I first began veiwing Combat, I loved it but I was confused. Now that I've seen every episode,
I'm even more so. The pilot A Day In June makes it very clear that the story of King Co. begins
on D-Day, which would be June of 1944. The war in Europe ended in the summer of 1945, and the "war"
in France ended long before then. If this is true, how could all of these things have taken place in that short time span? In Survival, Saunders is severly wounded. He would have been out of it for a long while. But, on the next "day"
of Combat, he's back and 100% recovered. This is only one example of many. On Command, Hanley states that he is being shipped out to England for a while to recover from injury, etc. Many episodes are obviously supposed to cover a span of a week or more. So, how could these men possibly have this many adventures in France in this very short time? It would make more sense if they fought in other countries like Germany, Italy, or Belgium. Anyone wanna answer that?

By J.J. Fowler (Panzertrak) on Unrecorded Date:

Perhaps they were slowed down by Kirby's constant whinning. "Heh Sarge lets take a break".."Heh Sarge lets bug out of here I don't like it".."Heh Sarge I saw some French girls back in that last town, a little R&R won't hurt". But to answer your question I think the producers just felt the show should remain fighting across France in 1944. Perhaps due to added expenses of different locations, travel logistics, authenticity, etc. But agree moving into Germany sounded like the most logical step. Maybe towards the last season of the show they were considering this.

By Rose Ann Schrock (Carbine) on Unrecorded Date:

You are probably right. I guess that the producers
figured that it was just easier on expenses if the war remained in France. Caje could talk freely to the natives, and it would look fake if the same props were used for Germany as for France. The French scenes had already been created.
Rose

By Nathaniel Bridger (Nathaniel) on Unrecorded Date:

Hehehe....Remember, "M*A*S*H" went on longer than the entire Korean War!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: