Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: General Discussion: Was Kirby really that much of a pain??
By Katie Wolfe (Luckystrikes) on Unrecorded Date:

I notice from (thumbing) through all the info on the website that Kirby gets a pretty bad rap. Recently, I've seen only Season 3 & part of 4, since it was originally on. Sure he grouches, but that happens in everyday life, always someone with a negative attitude around. Did I miss an episode that explains why he gets the bum's rush??? I think they put his attitude to good use. Plus, he usually did what he was told.

By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

Of all of Combat's regular cast, Kirby is the only to undergo a spectacular change of heart and evolution in character. Kirby grew up, apparently fatherless and in poverty, on the tough streets of Chicago, resulting in his having a hardened, selfish personality.

Without giving away plots I'll give you some examples. In Season One's originally aired first episode called "Forgotten Front" Kirby displays a viscous streak and is quite willing to murder an unthreatening POW. In "Off Limits" his selfish thoughtlessness results in a friend being grievously wounded. In "Far From the Brave" you see him cruelly take his disappointment out on a new squad member. He is even quite willing to take 'unfair advantage' of a shell-shocked young woman in "The Battle of the Roses". In Season Two's "Little Jewel" you see Kirby treat a French child with incredible callousness and insensitivity. It is possible that his own childhood has left him incapable of sympathizing in another starving orphan. He displays these unendearing characteristics in many other episodes as well, although they do not figure as prominently in those plots.

But the brutal experiences of war, as well as living with such men of character as Saunders, Caje and Littlejohn, has a salutary effect on William G. Kirby. He evolves into the likable character we happily know in Seasons 3-5. So long, from your friendly 349th

Heavy Weapons Crew

By Dana Eugene Creasy (Deecee322) on Unrecorded Date:

Not only that, but in the end, he even gets promoted... no more, "just plain old Private William G. Kirby", he ends up as a Private First Class, which was not necessarily an automatic promotion, especially if you were as big an eight-ball as he was during the early days of the series. Interestingly, in my script treatment for a tribute movie (to Vic originally), Kirby stayed in the army after the war and ended up in Special Forces as an A-Team senior NCO (Master Sergeant) in Viet Nam. Can you imagine?

By J.J. Fowler (Panzertrak) on Unrecorded Date:

Kirby was my favorite character I'll have to say. Sure he griped alot, complained about the food, green replacements, the 'stinkin' weather,lack of support, etc. etc but in a firefight there was nobody better. Not only on the BAR but as Lt. Hanley said recently "Kirby is our best man with a bazooka". Sure sometimes he got into trouble behind the lines but than of course he wouldn't be the William G. Kirby from Chicago..right? All of those Purple Hearts should stand for something.

By J.J. Fowler (Panzertrak) on Unrecorded Date:

My favorite Kirby episode has to be The Leader. He's put in charge of the platoon after Saunders temporary heads back to the cp for a short briefing. Soon Cage comes stumbling in wounded and the phone lines suddenly get cut. Than the Germans counter-attack and Kirby makes some critical decisions based on his combat experience. Now the shoe is on the other foot as McCall (William Bryant) complains outloud about bugging out and Kirby tells him to keep his mouth shut and obey orders. Casualities quickly mount up and the tensions arise as Kirby does the best he can, knowing the surviors are in his hands. Some great night fighting scenes.

By Rose Ann Schrock (Carbine) on Unrecorded Date:

I loved The Leader too. I think all of the Combat fans almost enjoyed watching Kirby get a little taste of his own medicine. It was weird to hear Kirby give the "shut up and just obey orders" lines that Saunders and Hanley always give. I loved the very end, when Hanley hints around that Kirby would make a good leader. The private that always talked so loudly about officers having it so good quickly put all such notions out of his Lt.'s head. I bet that this incident really made a big impression on Kirby, and may have even helped in his eventual transformation to a "good guy."
Rose Ann

By Vic Morrow Jr (Vicmorrowjr) on Unrecorded Date:

Kirby was great in the plot of combat. If the show didnt have kirby we would of missed a very interesting aspect of the show. Each and every character on the show was very important and it sure was a shame that the show could of had a last episode where everything was tied toghether.
It would of been great to have seen all the characters said their goodbyes. It happend all to often with the great shows of the 1960s and 70s. Another good example is Hogan Heros never had the opportunity to have a last show.

By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

I just saw the 5th season episode called, "The Bankroll". It's the culmination of all that is best in Kirby. It demonstrates that while he can still be tempted by less noble instincts, nevertheless his evolved ethical sense wins out in the end. I can't think of any other character that makes his feelings, so available to the viewer.

But a great character is nothing without the great actor who portrays that character. So my hat’s off to incredibly talented Jack Hogan.

By Patricia Sewell (Patsewell) on Unrecorded Date:

That is one of my favorite episodes, Nancy. It is a very realistic episode, actually. Some people are forever changed for the worse by war, while war seems to bring out the best in others. We were given the opportunity to watch the character of Kirby evolve from a "fresh punk" to a likeable, maturing man who had great compassion for his fellow man, even going so far as to be totally unselfish when called for. I believe there were many men and women who were "diamonds in the rough".

By Katharine Bassett (Verity) (209.240.198.61) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 03:47 am:

Reading these notes has been so very interesting. I have been a COMBAT! fan from the very beginning and Kirby has always been my favorite character. I have not seen the show since it went off the air except for two different times during all those years. It has always been my favorite tv show and I remember "Hills Are For Heroes" as if I'd seen it yesterday...well, maybe not yesterday. It made me cry then and probably would today if I dwelled on it. Yes, Kirby was a punk as someone said, but there was always that vulnerable human just underneath.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: