Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: General Discussion: ID Bracelet or status symbol?
By Katie Wolfe (Luckystrikes) on Unrecorded Date:

I have noticed in several (most) episodes that Lt. Hanley, Saunders, Kirby, and Cage are wearing what looks to be a chain bracelet. Was this some kind of ID bracelet? I have 4 uncles who participated in WWII and when I asked three of them, they don't recall any ID bracelet. They all look alike, chain link, they are also loose around their wrist, sometimes they move up and down their arms about 2". I can't believe they would issue something like this to the dogfaces, (so much for silence, not to mention they would be collectibles and I find no mention of them). Was this a bonus or something for the cast does anyone know?

By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

There are numerous episodes where cast members wear jewelry that has nothing to do with their characters. In at least one ep you see Pierre Jalbert wear his wedding ring, when we all know that Caje is a bachelor. Stuff like that happened all the time.

We see Rick wear his pinky ring in episodes that followed "Escape from Nowhere" and "Evasion" when he would have had it stolen by enemy captors who regularly stripped their prisoners of rings, wristwatches, etc.

In fact, back in the 40s wristwatches were expensive, highly prized and hard to get items. Most 'mud sloggers' didn't even own one. Yet we see time and again that the regulars of First Squad all wearing watches, even after said watches had to have been taken away from them by their captors, as they would have been in "Survival".

But about those bracelets: I recall that these became very popular for men to wear back in the early 1960s. Looks like cast members either forgot or didn't bother to remove their personal jewelry for the filming of every Combat episode. So long!

By Dana Eugene Creasy (Deecee322) on Unrecorded Date:

Speaking from within the industry, it is the Continuity Assistant's (formerly known in the sexist term as "Script Girl") responsibility to make sure that the "look" is the same from scene to scene, including whether someone has blood on their left sleeve in one scene and no blood in a later scene. In particular, they are responsible for making sure that everyone is properly prepared for the part, and coordinate with the Props personnel. However, not everyone always cooperates, like removing an earring, a religious medal, etc. I am sure I saw several episodes where people, standing around in their undershirts, had St. Christopher's medals hanging with their dog tags, etc. Funny thing about Caje, being a French Cajun from New Orleans, he would be assumed to be Catholic, and probably fairly devout at that, given the times. Yet, in all the scene in churches, you never see him giving any special respect to the church or to any French Padre`s they come across. Saunders dipped his fingers into the Holy Water one time, but rubbed them on his pants after looking at them. FYI, probably the best (and funniest) scene relating to combat (small "c") and churches occurs in the John Wayne picture, "Rio Grande", where the late Victor McLaglen, Oscar winning star and father of director Andrew V. McLaglen, as Sergeant Major Quincannon paused to genuflect before the alter before exiting the church after rescuing the children hostages from Apaches.

The final point is, the business is, well, the business... you can't always get people to do what you want them to. Wayne, himself, was a fine example, for after making "The Green Berets", he continued to wear the elephant-hair woven bracelet that was given him by an SF trooper as a souvenir. Of course, elephant hair bracelets tended not to be available in the old west, but what the heck...

By Brenda Koehler (Jasmine) on Unrecorded Date:

My father-in-law had a bracelet just like the ones on the show. He was a soldier in WWII. It was a silver-type chain link bracelet with a flat part on top that just had his full name written in script. At least that's how I remember it from twenty years ago. When I asked him what it was, he said it was his old bracelet from when he was in the army. When I saw the guys on the show wearing the same type of thing, I figured it was standard issue, but apparently not. jasmine

By Patricia Sewell (Patsewell) on Unrecorded Date:

I believe one of those bracelets was mentioned in a Stephen Ambrose history, perhasp his "D-Day" book. A soldier caught his bracelet in a hedgerow and when he knelt to pull it loose he escaped being shot. I may be remembering this incorrectly, but I do remember the bracelet mentioned which I linked with the ones worn on Combat.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: