Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: General Discussion: A network worth writing to...
By Sam Spritzer (Teknogeek9) on Unrecorded Date:

I am copying an e-mail that I wrote to TVLAND (www.tvland.com) requesting COMBAT! This network is the same one that carries Nick at Night. If you head over to the website, you'll see that our favorite show seems to fit nicely within the context of the TVLAND lineup. I am crossing my fingers on this....and for those of you who have TVLAND, be sure to write!
Sam

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 05:12:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: COMBAT!
To: postmaster@tvland.com

I really enjoy your lineup and it is definitely refreshing to see many of those shows that we enjoyed in the 60s and 70s and especially Adam-12 and Dragnet. One such show that I have been desiring for so long is COMBAT! Is there ever a chance that you could be showing that series? I am sure there are many of us out there who would love to see the return of this great WWII show.
Thank you in advance,
Sam Spritzer

By Liz Garvin (Sparky99) on Unrecorded Date:

Sam,
about once every two months, TVLAND has a Museum of Television special at 7pm. Twice last year they showed COMBAT with a representative from the Museum giving commentary. I wrote to them recently thanking them for showing COMBAT, asking them to advertise a little so we could know more than that day that it was going to be shown, and asking them to put it in their lineup. As you probably know, on Saturdays, they have a "detective" line up, Sundays they have a "western" lineup. Maybe they can do a COMBAT, RAT Patrol, Hogan's Heroes, Mc Hales' Navy concept.

By Rose Ann Schrock (Hazelnut) on Unrecorded Date:

I have already written to TVland three times about Combat, but I've had no reply yet. I love the "war" series lineup idea, Liz. Now, if we can only get the network to agree....

By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

My letter will ask for the more serious WWII shows: Combat!, Twelve O'Clock High, Rat Patrol and Garrison's Gorillas. Great idea, Sam and Liz!

By Sandy Marshall (Smarshall) on Unrecorded Date:

I, too, have written TVLand. It is one of my favorite networks - next to Encore's Action Channel where Combat! is being shown. I would very much like to see TVLand carry Combat on it's line-up, it would make it the perfect station. I hope they consider adding it - I never miss an episode!
(Lady Garand)

By Liz Garvin (Sparky99) on Unrecorded Date:

Nancy,
Thanks for reminding me about Twelve O'Clock High. I really loved that show.

By Sam Spritzer (Teknogeek9) on Unrecorded Date:

Thanks to all....I agree, a WWII lineup would be great and special thanks to Liz...now I have to look out for that. I think we got "hurt" by Private Ryan. While it was terrific, there was too much blood and stuff. It would have been interesting to see the turnout if they had shown that movie without all the "red" stuff. And, in the context of that, perhaps COMBAT! could have had an easier time making a comeback.
Sam

By Judith Balcewicz (Judith) on Unrecorded Date:

With all due respect, I have to disagree. By the time TVLand edits Combat or any other hour long show for commercials, there wouldn't be much show left to watch. May I suggest a better course of action would be to petition Encore Media Group.

By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

Judith makes a good point. I get Combat on the Encore Action Channel, 2 eps a day, 5 days a week, without commercial interruption. Areas that only have the basic Encore channel get to see Combat once a week (I think they show 2 eps back to back on that day).

Another advantage about Encore airings is that they don't display their blasted logo throughout the entire episode the way TVLAND does. Instead Encore displays their logo only 3 times and for just a few seconds, and rather discretely (their logo is smaller than TVLAND's).

The Encore Action Channel programmers might be more receptive to a line up of dramatic WWII shows like Combat, 12'O Clock, Garrison's Gorillas, and the Rat Patrol. On the other hand, the basic Encore channel programmers might be more receptive to a line up of wartime comedies or a mixture of both comedy and drama.

By J.J. Fowler (Panzertrak) on Unrecorded Date:

Is there still a Military Channel?? My former cable company had it for about two weeks last summer and than it disappeared from their line-up. Didn't matter since first week there was no sound and month later I switched to Directv. After seeing my rates go up 125% in twelve years, fewer channels and lousy service was enough for me to switch. Plus now I own the dish/receiver and get to watch Combat twice a day..what a deal!

By Dana Eugene Creasy (Deecee322) on Unrecorded Date:

With regards to The Military Channel... they ran out of money last summer and went dark. However, upper management has been negotiating for some extended financing and, while most of the staff was in fact left go, there is some hope that they will be able to relaunch within the next year. Personally, considering they brought a real live tank to the Western Cable Show last year, I think they were just undercapitalized for what they were trying to accomplish... imagine the costs for transporting a tank! Ah, the joys of the television industry... we get to see all the neat stuff and play with all the toys. I am also attempting to find out the name of the new programming director (the position was just vacated recently) at Encore networks so you can all write to the right person. I will post it here when available.

By annmarie DePasquale on Unrecorded Date:

hi! tvland,
Would you be able to put on the show COMBAT
on your list of programs? You know this country
has almost gone down hill because of
our President. He's a draft dodger and he has
no morals. If you can start showing COMBAT,
to our young kids of America, they will see
what America's fighting men and America use to
be like.

By JPDUGGAN on Unrecorded Date:

HI ALL I WAS HAPPY T0 FIND THIS SITE ABOUT MY FAVORITE SHOW COMBAT! I HAVE E MAILED HISTORY-FX ABOUT SHOWING THIS GREAT SHOW ALSO ABC TO SEE IF THEY COULD TELL ME WHAT STATION IS GOING TO RUN THIS SHOW NO REPLY FROM ANY ONE...WILL KEEP TRYING..JUST LOVE THE STORIES ABOUT THE SQUARD.DO NOT LIKE THE ONE WHERE DOC DIEDS ALONG IN A VA HOSPITAL..JP

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: