Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: General Discussion: Should Combat! have officially ended?
By Jo Davidsmeyer (Admin) on Unrecorded Date:

[This topic and responses originally appeared on the old MESSAGE BOARD... moved here to kick-start the discussions.]

Should Combat! Have "Officially" Ended?
by Bill posted 8/14/99 8:42:33 PM

Hi, just a thought here. I love Combat! it was and always will be my favorite but I find myself wondering from time to time when I watch an episode, "I wonder what would have eventually happened to these guys had the series not ended when it did". Does anyone wonder what would have became of the squad? Would they all have made it through the war? Would they have helped in the capture of Berlin? Would any of thme not made it home? I think it would have been great if ABC, knowing that the show was going to go off the air in 1967, had made like a 2 hour series finale or something to tie up all the
loose ends. Or maybe a year or two after it ended the cast got together for a made for TV film that would have put an exclamation point on the series. That's one of the reasons why I wouldn't mind seeing a movie now. What does everyone else think?

[moved from old message board]
re: Should Combat! Have "Officially" Ended?
by Tak posted 9/6/99 10:44:12 AM

COMBAT! story ends with rather sad episode. I remenber little bit of it. I think there was only Sanders and Caje or Sanders and Karby survived after bit silly gun battle (they moved more like Germans than Americans) and the squad broke up. They didn't even got out of France!!

Moved from old message board
by richard shannon posted 8/25/99 11:00:03 AM

This is why there needs to be a movie made(not
big screen but semi-small screen,i.e. cable, tnt,
hbo,showtime,ect.). the cast and budget could be
kept in check and i think if they went with a mid
march 1945 plot of the squad somewhere in germany
getting short timers fever . I think if it is made
on a small scale it can become a cult classic!!!

Moved from old Message Board

by Nathaniel Bridger posted 8/18/99 6:56:38 PM

"Combat!" DID end rather abruptly. Unfortunately, the Viet Nam war put "paid" to the series. Still, in the final episode, "Combat!" did get in a few licks....a Deserter (Robert Duvall) is convinced to shape up and return to his outfit, and an ethereal "Flower Child" (Claudine Longet) is told sternly that the time for "tenderness" is AFTER the war, which will only end
when fellows like her Deserter boyfriend learn the meaning of "Duty". Still, it's kind of a bitter ending.....and though I'm not at all sure about the appropriateness of a movie, I agree there should have been be some kind of "closure".

(Moved from old Message Board)

by King Two posted 8/20/99 9:21:49 AM

Nathaniel, the episode you mention was the last original episode aired. It was not the last original episode filmed -- that was "Jonah." And the last episode that ABC aired in COMBAT! as part of the 1966-67 season was a re-run of "Gadjo." So, it really ended on a *weird* note, IMO, since I've never could quite figure out what was up with the Gadjo episode.

(Moved from old Message Board)

by Pat Sewell posted 8/15/99 11:13:42 AM

Bill, I think a lot of us would have liked to have the squad to have at least been taken up to V-E day. That would have satisfied me. Unfortunately, shows cancelled in the sixties weren't into "reunion" shows, except for those that were remade many years later as follow-ups.

Personally, I am not interested in a Combat! movie today. It could never live up to the original series or the actors who brought the characters to life.

--------------
by Nathaniel Bridger posted 8/19/99 10:32:46 PM

The political climate of the 60s (and early 70s) made a "Combat!" follow-up almost impossible, with the "Make-Love-Not-War" crowd in virtual control of the entertainment industry. By the way, the contempt in which the "Artistic" element of Society, notably folk-rock music superstars, held the common soldier and all things military is neatly captured in the final season episode entitled "A Little Jazz".

"Combat!" writers did everything they could to keep the series relevant in that final season, even sending Saunders on what appears to be a 'Bad Acid Trip' in the "Gantlet" episode, but the "new" realities of war (and protest) won out. A real shame, since the series at least meritted a M.A.S.H. -style send-off....

By Tim Birney (M1a) on Unrecorded Date:

Another discussion asks "B/W or Color".
I think that after the subdued (real) color of Pvt Ryan, the real action, and great acting of this movie pretty much makes a COMBAT movie pretty much of a Pipe Dream (impossibility).

By Dana Eugene Creasy (Deecee322) on Unrecorded Date:

I work as a television network executive and have been working on a project for some years about a tribute movie to the late Vic Morrow, reuniting all of the original cast. With the passing of Dick Peabody today, that will no longer be possible. However, the basic premise will still work and I will keep all of the fans here notified. In general, it involves the "death" of now-Sergeant Major 'Chip' Saunders in Viet Nam, with the original cast reunited at the funeral/remembrance services at Arlington, including recently retired "General" Gil Hanley and SF (Green Beret) Master Sergeant William G. Kirby, freshly returned from The Nam. Thank goodness for makeup and that some of the cast were a bit younger and/or are still in pretty good shape. More later.

By Rose Ann Schrock (Carbine) on Unrecorded Date:

That sounds wonderful, Dana. I can't wait to see it, and you're right, it will be a great tribute to Vic and Dick! What could be a better way to be remembered? Keep us all posted.

By Nancy LionStorm (349hwc) on Unrecorded Date:

In response to Tim: "Schindler's List" showed the world that a black and white movie could be both a critical and box office hit. So a B&W COMBAT! movie might be just the ticket!

In response to Dana: I can't see why the absence of Dick has to put an end to your movie. Can't you just use a very tall elderly actor to play Littlejohn at the reunion and use the rest of the original cast? Or maybe just say that Littlejohn couldn't make it to the reunion?

~ 349th Heavy Weapons Crew

By hazelnut on Unrecorded Date:

I am at the point now that I really don't care what the plot of the Combat! movie would be. I am just so anxious to see our beloved series come to the big screen! I would just love it if the origonal actors appeared in the film and I think it would add so much to the movie. I think that it would just be so wondeful to be able to go to the movies and watch a Combat! movie with my friends! Perhaps then more young people would enjoy the movie and learn more about the origonal series. I also think the producers should hurry with getting started with production. Some in the Combat cast are getting old (not to offend anyone) and they all should be able to see this movie made in there honor. Now Dick will never be able to watch it.

By Saunders on Unrecorded Date:

With the passing of Rick Jason the time is definalty now for any type of reunion movie. I sure would like to see one.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: