Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: General Discussion: The Little Caroussel
By Lyne Tremblay (Lyne) on Unrecorded Date:

Hello from Lyne. My favorite Combat episode is "The Little Carousel". I've also been just initiated into computers and the internet. E-mailing is VERY new to me. The reason why I love this particular Combat story, I guess, is because of Claudine, the little nurse. What a wonderful character! She darts in and out of firefights, bombings and warring zones as bravely as any soldier. She absolutely holds her own in a discussion with Saunders. She sharply notices the inner workings and the problems of those who surround her. Her clothes are torn but she walks with her head held up high with the greatest dignity. What age would you give her? I have a daughter of thirteen and one of fourteen, just about her age. I think Claudine, as a character, speaks well for anyone who is young or female or french or civilian. The other strong point of this story is Morrow. Viewers have been presented with Saunders the soldier, Saunders the seargent, Saunders the older brother, the leader, the young man, the best friend, the warrior. Here, I think were shown Saunders the human being. He's just put through the entire gamut of emotions and Morrow, in a great performance, brings it all into view. I just love the scene at the end where he's just laying there, wounded, rubbing Claudine's cheek with his thumb. He's a hero, yes. But he's not above drinking up the comfort she's providing him. His eyes seem to be begging her to stay at his side and not leave him. I cried the first time I saw "The Little Carousel". Do you know what? I cried the tenth time, too. That doesn't happen too often. War itself is the real bad guy here. It's there, these people simply deal with it the best they can. This episode stayhs with you a long time.

By Rose Ann Schrock (Carbine) on Unrecorded Date:

What a beautiful analysise! You share a depth of feeling and understanding that is unique even among fans. Even though Rick Jason and not Vic Morrow was my favorite of the cast, I too cry every time I watch this episode and it is among my top favorites. You get to see a rare view of Saunders in this episode. BTW, are you a member of the discussion list? We are a large group of fans that have fun discussing episodes, the actors, sending each other pictures, and writing poems. We discuss Combat and other things just between friends. It's fun and you'll get a big welcome. Oh, here I go recruiting people again!
Rose (Hazelnut)

By Brenda Koehler (Jasmine) on Unrecorded Date:

Lyne,
I love your review of "The Little Carousel". Its my favorite episode, too. I always think the part at the end where Saunders remembers how happy they were on the carousel is so sad. Like a dream you can't hold on to. jasmine

Hi, Rose Ann. Thanks so much for your nice comments. I love the Combat site and I visit it often. My arm needs no twisting, I'll gladly join the discussion list. Please just let me know how to do it. Hope to hear from you soon. I'd like to add also for Brenda that, just like you, I found the scene at the very end, when Saunders flashes back to the fun he had at the carousel really poignant. Then he devastated me by picking up her hand to kiss it. God, those fingers he holds are so small.
Lyne

Hi Lyne!
Victory! Recruit number three! (just kidding) Anyway, I'm thrilled that you want to join the list. We're a big group of people from different age groups and places, who are all friends and all love Combat! Just E mail Nancy Durgin (Our Sarge) and request to join the discussion list.
(combat-request@aurora3.com) We also have a chat room, but I'll fill you in later. See you there!
Rose (Hazelnut)
PS: We all have chosen list nick names for ourselves because it's more fun. Mine is Hazelnut. I chose it because Hanley is my favorite and I envy Hazel on A Day In June. If you want to, you too can pick a name.)

Hi Rose Ann. Your message has been received and my request to join went out minutes ago. Sure am glad to come on board! BTW, I chose "PFC" as a nickname. Isnt't it Cage's rank? Sometimes?
Lyne

Are you a Caje fan? If so, you will just have to meet Sandy M. (Lady Granad) She is a wonderful lady from Kentucky and possibly my best friend on the list. She too, is a Caje fan. We often text and voice chat together at the Combat Yahoo chat room. She is new to the list as well. (My recruit number two!) Sometimes it takes a couple of days for Nancy to hook you up. See you there PFC!
Hazelnut (Rose)

Hello, everyone. Well, now I'm hooked apparently. Yes, I am absolutely a Cage fan, but there is more. An affinity, too. You see, I come from the beautiful province of Québec. Pierre Jalbert, who plays Cage comes from the very same corner of the world, and I speak with the exact same accent as he does in the show. In both languages! Hope to hear from you Sandy, we'll have a great time chatting, I hope. If anyone ever needs or wants to have something translated from french, I'll gladly volunteer to help as best I can.
Lyne

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: