Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: General Discussion: What was Saunders' real first name? "Chip" is a nickname.
By kay anderson on Unrecorded Date:

I recall an episode -- don't recall the title, though -- in which a German officer reads Saunders' dogtag and says "Sergeant Saunders?" in a disbelieving tone. Since Saunders is wearing sergeant's stripes, there would be no logical reason for the tone of voice, so my theory is that Saunders' first name is Sargent...so he's Sgt Sargent Saunders.

By Rose Ann Schrock (Carbine) on Unrecorded Date:

Well, Chip is a nickname often given for Charles, so I always thought that his name was Charles. I don't know if it is for sure, but all of the fan fiction writers usually use it as Charles.
Hazelnut

By Dana Eugene Creasy (Deecee322) on Unrecorded Date:

Truth CAN be stranger than fiction. When I was a cop (years ago, before my life in television), I had a sergeant whose was Steve Sergeant... spelled just like that. If you thought Sergeant Sergeant was weird, you should've seen it when he was promoted... Lieutenant Sergeant. Reminded me of Hawkeye trying to pass Radar off as a Corporal-Captain in "O" club on M*A*S*H when BJ arrived. I, too, always thought Saunders' first name was Charles, although I could NEVER see him referred to as "Chuck".

By Nathaniel Bridger (Nathaniel) on Unrecorded Date:

I can go you one better. I once met a charming young Lady, whose last name was Constable, serving as a corporal in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. She was therefore referred to by all as "Corporal Constable" ....*grin*

By Louis Vierne (Louisvierne) (209.172.22.148) on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 02:19 am:

Sorry, I can't go along with this "Chip/Charles" specualtion. Maybe, maybe not. "Chip" could have been a nickname for Charles, or it could have been a nickname for Mortimer. I think the scriptwriters left it purposely vague. And one oculd equally suppose Chip was his *given* name! After all, a lot of parents name their sons "Dale" don't they? (grin!)

Louis Vierne

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: