Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: General Discussion: General Thoughts
By Paul DeMay on Unrecorded Date:

I watch Combat every day on the Encore Action Channel. My hour lunch break turns into 2 hours every day because of this show! I'll be the first person to get fired because of Combat!

I have read several posts involving fictional reunions with the squad that involve the Lt. Am I wrong in assuming that if a squad had a reunion, the Lt. probably wouldn't attend as he had many squads? I think everyone is assuming that Hanley and Saunders had a special relationship, when in fact Hanley may have had the same relationship with all of his Sgts! The show revolved around Saunders squad and the Lt. but how many squads are there in a platoon? Each squad has their own Sgt. and Hanley would have been close to each of them. So, why would he attend this squads reunion?

Also, a lot of people have Saunders dying in Vietnam. If he took one, it would have been Korea, not Vietnam. Vietnam was 20+ years after WWII. He would have been in his mid to late 40s at the least with over 20 years service. While possible I guess, I think Korea was is a much more logical war to get killed in.

Besides. I always got the impression that Saunders was tired of war. He longed for home and would have gotten out of the Army as soon as the war ended. He would have gone into local politics and tried to make a difference and when he realized it was corrupt, would have become a teacher.

I can see it now...

"Now I said sit down and shut up! I won't have you causing a disturbance in my class!" Jimmy quickly sat down in his desk staring at his new teacher.

Saunders paused and looked into the now scared eyes of his student. He knew he had made his point. "Just, sit down and pay atention will ya? I know how hard it can be being a kid, with the peer pressures gettin' to ya'." He placed his hand on Jimmy's shoulder. "It's important that you pay attention so you can make something of yourself. Don't do it for me, but do it for you. You wanna end up like Kirby?"

By Brenda Koehler (Jasmine) on Unrecorded Date:

LOL, Paul! Actually after the dating scandals involving female officers and married enlisted men, I remember reading about the army instituting stricter regulations about fraternization between officers and enlisted men. It said that the main problem with enforcing such a code was that in working closely in life-threatening situations with his sergeants, a lieutenant usually developed a personal bond with one of them that he was reluctant to give up. Who he developed it with would depend on how their chemistries worked together IMO. I think its only human nature to be closer to someone who you personally identify with or who complements your personality.

By Rose Ann Schrock (Carbine) on Unrecorded Date:

I personally think that Hanley was closer to Saunders than to his other sergeants. There are a couple of episodes when Hanley is briefing his men about what to do in their squads. All of his other noncoms give him a cold "Yes sir!" and go to their duties. Saunders stands back and talks to Hanley after the others leave, giving advice and comfort. I know that if I had a bunch of men under me that I would be fond of them all, but probably choose one to be a subtle friend and confident. The two men are opposites, yet the same, and they have a fierce loyalty for one another. You can detect it in their eyes, the way they move, and how they react when the other needs help. They both respect the other in different ways, and I find their friendship beautiful because it is not overdone with a lot of "mush." It's a genuine friendship that you could find in real life between men and almost any one can see it.
Hazelnut

By Diane M. Judy (Djudy) on Unrecorded Date:

Hazelnut, I agree with you about Saunders and the Lt. I also think he returns to the States and becomes a teacher! However, I feel that he realizes that he is a good soldier and knows how to keep his men alive, if they listen to him, therefore he stays in the army and becomes a DI in combat tactics!! He may end up in Korea, but also trains men for Vietnam.

Diane

By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

Hazelnut I found your assessment of the Hanley and the sergeant's relationship quite astute. It is interesting that there are many times when Hanley can give no solace to Saunders, either because there is nothing that anyone can say in the given situation that would really help, or because Saunders is too aware of protocol of their positions as NCO and Officer. But that Hanley tries again and again, either with tough advice ("Far From the Brave") or concerned questions ("Mail Call" and The Little Carousel"), is a testament of their friendship.

And that care and concern goes both ways. Off the top of my head I can only think of "Hills Are For Heroes" in which Saunders offers back some of that same 'tough medicine' that Hanley needs so badly at that moment when the Lieutenant might break from the strain of responsibility. So long from your friendly 349th

- Heavy Weapons Crew

Yes, those are the episodes that I was thinking about when I made the last post. It would have been interresting to see how the Saunders\Hanley friendship would have been if they would have both remained sergeants for the duration. Would it have been more open like A Day In June? Or would Hanley have sobered up after a lot of Combat experience, even without the gold bars on his shoulder? It's something to think about...
Hazelnut

By Lyne Tremblay (Lyne) on Unrecorded Date:

Yes, Hazelnut. They're great moments. Sure wish more scenes had been made
like them. I loved the quiet friendly conversation in "Battle of the Roses".
When Saunders says that maybe the old woman had been right and Hanley just
looks at Saunders, smiles and replies "About heaven protecting the innocent?"
Viewers haven't seen Saunders tell Hanley about that anywhere in the
episode. It's just implied that these two talk a lot and must often relate to each other how they feel about things. They have a great great familiarity.
And I agree with you HWC. In "Hills", you can see how Saunders picks up on Hanley's near breakdown and reacts. He sees a friend coming right to the very brink of the abyss and almost going into it. Saunders reaches out with just a few chosen words and litterally pulls Hanley back away from that brink. Rick Jason is simply astounding in this scene, showing how he re-glues himself back together and "hardens" again. And in those faces, we understand that this is done for their men. Because all of their men will have no chance to get through it, if their leaders can't lead.

PFC

By Nathaniel Bridger (Nathaniel) on Unrecorded Date:

The best thing that can be said here is that Hanley is essentially a "foil" for Saunders--or vice-versa. (It's a literary device that draws its name --some say-- from the practice of ancient lapidarists who placed a contrasting-colored "foil" behind a gemstone to enhance its beauty). Saunders is blunt: Hanley is subtle. Saunders is terse: Hanley is articulate. Saunders is "physical": Hanley, cerebral. "Foils", by the way, are not necessarily antagonistic; they compliment and enhance each other. Dramatically, the combination works extremely well. I only wish we'd seen more of it......!

Now, Saunders as a teacher? Not really: Hanley would be the teacher. Saunders would be the guy that Hanley sends his toughest cases to, for "counselling"!

Further indication of Hanley's close relationship with Saunders is seen in "Point of View". In this episode one of King Company's other platoon leaders comes to Hanley and announces that he is going to press charges against one of Hanley's NCOs. When Hanley asks which one, the other officer answers, "Your boy, Saunders." I think this is further evidence that it is general knowledge among the officers of King Company that Hanley and Saunders are friends.

I agree there is a close relationship between Saunders and Hanley, however, I don't think this why Lt. Collins calls Saunders "Your boy".
I think, rather he is using the term as teachers do when they refer to another teacher's student as "Your kid". Hanley is more professional. Later on when talking to Saunders' He says "O'Niell is his Man and your mine." Meaning each will stick up for his own. I think both Rick and Vic did fantastic jobs with facial expression in this episode. Hanley reserves judgement until he hears both sides, yet shows Saunders by looks that he wants to believe him.
I like this episode so much I watched it twice before I went to sleep!!

Diane

Oh, I just love Point Of View. I think that both Vic and Rick give a 4 star performance with very few words here. I just love the part on the bridge when Saunders walked out from the court, and Hanley is given a little time to bring him back. The Lt. tells Saunders not to "keep me from doing my job." You can tell that he is quietly pleading with his noncom; he wants the Sarge to go back and stand up for himself so bad, but he has to remain objective about it all. My sister is a Vic fan and I am a big Rick fan, so we often argue over what Combat episode we are going to watch. Point of View is one of the precious few that we both adore and have seen it many, many times!
Hazelnut

Point of View is definitely one of my all-time favorites too. However, HWC is right about the significance of the term "Boy" as Collins uses it. It has the meaning of right-hand man, protege, an acknowledged favorite. The only thing I wondered about is: is this indeed general knowledge as HWC surmises or did Collins come to this conclusion because O'Neill told him how highly Hanley spoke of Saunders when O'Neill asked to be put in charge of his own squad at the outset of the mission. What do you think?

I agree too that the word "boy" is used to indicate a pet favorite or a prize man. Several times on Combat! Hanley tells an officer, or even Saunders himself, something to the effect that "if anybody can get the job done, Saunders can." I have a feeling that the Lt. does not go around saying this about all of his noncoms under his command. Something else to think about: maybe Hanley's personal life with Saunders could account for the reason that he seems to prefer him over the rest. Not to say that Saunders isn't a good man worthy of Hanley's favor, but the two men were friends before Gil got his bars on A Day In June. Sometimes a man takes comfort in sticking close to his old friends. Maybe Hanley stuck closer to Saunders because he knew him better than the others, who were strangers to him. Or, it could be that Hanley became Chip's friend to start with because he admired his battle experience and abilities. You decide.
I think, jasmine, that it was common knowlege in King Co. that Saunders and Hanley were close. I can't think of any Combat! facts to back it up right now, but I just like to think so.
Hazelnut

Me too. jasmine

Sorry to say, Point of View is one of those episodes that haven't been shown here. Your discussions make it sound very interesting. Perhaps this time, History Channel will air that one.

Point of view is very interresting, PFC. THe characters, the interactions, the plot, are all 4 stars. Vic and Rick are both in top form during this episode and it deals with a lot of controversial topics. Feel free to E mail me if you ever want to chat about this or anything else.
Hazelnut

Like Akira Kurosawa's classic "Rashomon", a "Point of View" tells a story from the perspective of several individuals. Another COMBAT episode, "Crossfire" uses the same plot devise, but has only two perspectives to contend with: Saunders and the former sergeant, Pvt. Stevens. So long from your friendly 349th

- Heavy Weapons Crew

HWC, I believe this method was also used in Hill 256, where Kirby told a different version of events than that related by Sergeant Metcalf. Which "perspective" would turn out to be the correct one meant life or death for Kirby. Metcalf was shown to have so much battle-stress as to have his perception of danger modified. He became unable to "see danger when it is staring right down his throat." I wouldn't like to serve under someone like that, I think.

I would also like to add that Saunders and Caje head off to "Hill 256" to search out shell casings in this episode, in order to prove that Kirby had, indeed "seen right". Their mission doesn't involve proving events, or direction of shots, or any major concrete chain of acts. Only to prove the existence of a thing which Kirby said that he saw, and which Metcalf said that he did not, because he didn't believe it existed.

By Tim Birney on Unrecorded Date:

To Paul DeMay:
Paul,
I enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1967 to attend Warrant Officer Flight School (age 18). In my training platoon were TWO 45 year old men, that quite amazingly put us "kids" to shame.
On a related note, and probably evidence that Sgt. Saunders would not have seen Viet Nam combat, I was stationed in Germany, and summoned to the office of the Sgt. Major of Europe upon my arrival. This particular Sgt. was well into his 60's, and many other high ranking Sgt's that I ran across were pushing the limit on age.
So theoretically Sgt. Saunders could have been in the service at the peak of the Viet Nam war, and given the apparent age of the character (35), he would probably have been very close to occupying a desk (provided he survived Korea).
Tim

Question?
Anyone know of the Encore Action Channel dropping COMBAT! ?
The channel is currently advertising "The Last COMBAT Marathon", which leads me to beleive their intent on dropping the show.
Please E-mail me at b1rney@attglobal.net

Thanks

And now back to the discussion...
Saunders and Hanley were Sgt's together through Africa, sent to England and partied together prior to shipping to France ( D-Day ).
Hanley was promoted to Lt. ( field promotion ) just after the beachhead was established, and because of the prior sgt/buddy/sgt relationship,
you may come to understand the Lt./Sgt. relationship shown throughout the series.
Tim

Hi ya, Tim!

The Encore Action channel web site shows that COMBAT! is scheduled through the end of June. Further dates are not available at that web site because they just don't schedule more than one month in advance. However, COMBAT! fan, Foxhole Filly, regularly supplies us with an advance, two-month long schedule. I expect her to soon make one available to us for COMBAT!'s June and July schedules. It will then be posted in the "VCR Alerts" forum.

About Hanley and Saunders: if you take another look at "A Day in June", Tim, you'll see that Hanley was not in Africa. His first action is Omaha Beach. Hanley knows that Saunders is a veteran of Africa. That is why Hanley picks Saunders' squad for the mission on D-Day. He wants an experienced man with him when he goes to rescue those paratroopers.

Hanley and Saunders first meet in England. Hanley has no campaign ribbons, as Saunders does. Saunders even ribs Hanley about his (Hanley's) good conduct ribbon. So long from your friendly 349th

- Heavy Weapons Crew

For all of Vic's (Chip's) chicks be sure to check out Terry Pierce's new picture at the end of the Table of Contents, I guess you could call it that,of "Purple Hearts". It's a great likeness of Sgt. Saunders.
Diane

Bonjour from PFC. I have a question that I have wanted to ask for a long time, and didn't know quite which Forum to ask it in. Perhaps Dana, or someone else, can answer this. I have noticed that in all closeup shots of the guys, they have pants pockets bulging with "stuff", like cigarettes, wallets, keys, lighters, and all manner of possessions. You know, the kind of ordinary stuff that any ordinary guy carries around all the time. This made the men in the squad seem all the more realistic to me.

Did the actors simply transfer their own belongings into the uniforms every morning at work, or did the "costuming department" supply the actors with the needs to make the uniform pockets appear full on camera?

It is a little unimportant matter, I know. But I have always wondered. Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this.

PFC

By Dana Eugene Creasy (Deecee322) on Unrecorded Date:

In response to the best PFC in the Second Platoon:

After years in the business (I sound like I am 90, although only 43... sometimes feel like it, though), it is my experience (and personal practice when still acting) that many actors prefer to have some personal property with them, often for goodluck. Many carry rabbit's feet (how DO all those bunnies hop around so much without their feet). In the case of war movies/shows, you will often see supposedly Catholic soliders wearing St.Christopher's medals with their dog tags... this is generally their own, not props. Lighters, cigarettes, etc. also are the actors own. If the stage business calls for a cigarette to be lit or smoked, they prefer their own, unless of course authenticity rules it out... remember, "Lucky Strike Green went to war" and most cigarettes were unfiltered back then. Further, C-Rats had mini packs of cigarettes packed in them, "courtesy" of the friendly folks at Phillip-Morris, etc.

Other stuff? Some, like French money, personal letters, etc. are obviously props. Sometimes personal photos are really of the actors' family, sometimes just a prop.

Many people wonder why soldiers carry so much crap in their pockets, especially airborne troopers (remember the German reference to "Devils with Baggy Trousers"?). Think back to the Civil War. On the way to any battle (or "Big Thing" for new recruits, as they were going to "see the elephant"), you would find the roads littered with decks of cards, pipes, chewing tobacco, etc., as the soldier's didn't want those things sent home if they were killed. It wouldn't be right for Ma and Pa, who thought their sons pure and virtuous, to find out they weren't. The real answer is soldiers carry all that crap because it is all the connection they have to "the world". As a Ranger, we were always instructed to leave wallets, IDs, personal effects, etc. in a bag before leaving on a mission, but I know plenty of guys who carried pictures, etc. on missions in case they were hit... they wanted one last look at their families, wifes, sweethearts (or, in someone like Kirby's case, both if he had them... LOL).

Same thing, by the way, for the current military practice of silencers for dog tags and/or taping them together to make less noise. Many current or recent soldiers respond to these questions from the mindset of current tactics and training, not thinking that times were different during War Two.

By the way, in M*A*S*H, Trapper carries the keys to his wife's car. When Hawkeye questions why, he responds, "because she's a lousy driver". Makes sense to me.

Regarding earlier posts, keep in mind that in War Two, the Army of the United States (AUS) did NOT have any expedited training/promotion programs similar to what existed towards the end of the Viet Name conflict, namely the "become a Sergeant in only 28 weeks". Hanley was a Master Sergeant, as I recall, so had just a few more years experience than many give him credit for. The fact that all he wore was his Good Conduct ribbon is not indicative that they were all his awards, regardless of the (help me with the French, Lyne)"repartee". While Saunders supposedly fought in North Africa and in Italy with Seventh Army, it is only when he visits England to deliver the money to the orphanage that he is wearing a Combat Infantryman's Badge, or even the European-Middle Eastern-North African campaign ribbon. Costumers occasionally screw up and continuity (like his shirt being tucked in) goes by the wayside in this business. We ain't perfect, but try our darnedest to give it our best shot.

Hope that helps answer more than one or two questios.

Remember, in the immortal words of Georgie Patton, "But I was there, Sir Arthur, I was there!"

Nancy,
I didn't mean to rewrite history, we have enough of that going on in Washington D.C.
I will have to replay some of my older tapes, and pay attention to circumstances that lead to the relationship between the "Sargeants".
Tim

By Melissa Roberts (Medic) on Unrecorded Date:

To everyone who gets Combat! on Action channel:
They are advertising this marathon as the LAST Combat! Marathon. I don't know if they are planning to stop airing it or not, but thought that we could all write them telling them to keep it on. Here is the address and phone #---
Encore/Plex
5445 DTC Pkwy, Ste. 600
Englewood, CO 80111
(303)771-7700
Since Action channel is the only channel I get Combat! on, I thank you in advance for your help!
On an unrelated note--I have "A Walk with an Eagle" on tape and was watching again when I noticed a blooper. Doc and Harmon are carrying a litter. Doc is in front, left side facing camera. Machine gun fire comes from dir. of camera. So how is it Doc was wounded on the outside of his RIGHT leg. Must be those new boomerang bullets.

Hi Tim,

When you do get a chance to view "A Day in June" again note the following scenes. The first is at the barracks with Doc Walton and Saunders. Doc asks the sarge about his ribbons, specifically his Purple Heart. Saunders answers (none of these are the exact quote, I’m too lazy to put the tape in right now), "Now you know I was in Africa, Doc." At no time during the series is there ever a direct or implied reference that Hanley had prior battle experience.

The second scene is the one on the ship where Hanley has just repeatedly gone over the mission plan with his men. He then turns to Saunders and asks him, "Did you get that Sergeant?" Saunders answers (again, check the ep for exact words), "I got it the first time, Lieutenant. But wouldn’t it be better to go around the orchard, instead of through it?" First, Saunders is hinting that the inexperienced Hanley need not to be so anxious that he unnecessarily repeats the straightforward mission plan, and second that his (Saunders’) own experience tells him that it is ill advised it would be to go through that orchard.

The next scene is when the men are actually at the edge of the orchard, when Saunders asks, "are you sure you still want to go through and not around?" Hanley realizes that he should have had confidence in Saunders' experience and does indeed order the men to go around the orchard.

The last scene is the one where Hanley is dismayed not to have chocolate for the French lady and surprised (take a look at his face when this happens) that Saunders who how advantageous it was to have extra chocolate to give to the locals. If Hanley, had been in a previous campaign he would have known to have chocolate on hand.

(And finally, what makes me accept the show's representation of Hanley not having battle experience is that while I have never been in the military, my husband’s father was a Master Sergeant during WWII. Eugene Tiedemann entered the Army when the war broke out and rose to the rank of Master Sergeant while training troops in the U.S. before being shipped out to fight in the Pacific.) So long, Tim and enjoy re-watching “A Day in June”.

- 349th Heavy Weapons Crew

By Josephine Naylor on Unrecorded Date:

I think the Sgt and Lt relationship is indeed very special so that the Sgt would risk a lot to rescue his Lt. A Rare Vintage comes to mind where Saunders and three others were trapped at a winnery and the Germans come in with the wounded Lt. Perhaps, Saunders would've done the same thing for other GIs. But, definitely, he wouldn't have left Hanley at the winnery. Again, he tried to get to his Lt. in The Distant Drum but had to pull back because of kraut artillery. Finally, their special relationship is also seen in Any Second Now, the ending part when Saunders falls asleep with the pinned down Lt. in the church. But, I also and especially enjoyed Jo Davidsmeyer's trilogy titled "All Epxenses Paid For". She's a wonderful COMBAT writer and I wish she would finish the third part. Read it.

By Amerikaner on Unrecorded Date:

Couldn't find a forum to ask this question so thought I would put it here.

When the Encore Action network aired its Memorial Day episodes, some of the cast members talked about their experiences with Combat! Conlan Carter talked about the last season of Combat! and how it was replaced on the network with an inferior military show.

Does anybody know - what show replaced Combat!?

"Saddle up!"
Amerikaner

By Nora Beggs (Norab) on Unrecorded Date:

According to Rick Jason's book, "Garrison's Gorillas" was the show the network put into the Tuesday night time slot. Nora B.

By Amerikaner on Unrecorded Date:

Garrison's Gorillas? I've watched this show on GTV occasionally and (not really wanting to p-off any GG fans) I found it to be pretty lame. I guess just not my style. It certainly wasn't Combat!

If I had a choice, I prefer the reruns of 12 O'Clock High.

"Shut up, Kirby"
Amerikaner

By joan on Unrecorded Date:

where can i find Jo Davidsmeyer's trilogy All Expenses Paid For???as i dont see it on the fan site..thank you

Jo does not make that story available at this website. However, Joan, once you join the Combat Email Discussion List I'll send it to you. To join the List go to the Combat homepage, click on the "fandom" link at the very top of the page, and then click on the "Discussion and Announcements" link. The List Administrator, Nancy Durgin, will notify you as soon as she has added you to the list.

After you get Nancy Durgin's message send us (the List) a message introducing yourself and then you will be sent the URLs for the story. It's a little round about, but that's how you'll get it.

- 349th Heavy Weapons Crew
aka Nancy LionStorm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: