Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: Jo's Soapbox: Remembering "The General"
By Jo Davidsmeyer (Admin) on Unrecorded Date:

Myra Chatburn Davidsmeyer
March 6, 1905 - September 30, 1999
a tribute by her granddaughter Jo Davidsmeyer

What can you say in a few words about the passing of a loved one? The bare facts cannot illuminate that faded light that shined so brightly, for so long. At this time, certain words are not just expected, they are required … by the government. There's legalities to be followed, forms to be filed, letters to be written - an endless stream of paper leading into the next life.

Place of birth? Mother's Maiden Name? School completed? The newspaper thinks it so important to know that Myra Chatburn Davidsmeyer was born in 1905 in Canon City, Colorado. That she had, for 25 years, worked as secretary for the Baptist Foreign Missions. That she brought into the world two children, five grandchildren, eight great grandchildren, and four great-great-grandchildren (with one more on the way)

But those are mere numbers. Cold facts, that tell little about the woman known lovingly to her family as - THE GENERAL. Her niece Diane recalls, "No question about it. She was in charge … of everything. She always seemed to be able to lead us. Even when we didn't want to be led. And, later in life, if that didn't work, well, she'd just whack us with her cane until we fell in line."

General Myra had quite an army to command. She was the eldest of three sisters. She caught the eye of a dashing young sailor, Howard Davidsmeyer, just returned from the Great War. And, of course, they were wed. With excellent foresight and planning on Myra's part, Howard just happened to have two younger brothers. Myra's son Howard Junior remembers, "Yep, the three sisters married the three brothers. And I felt terribly cheated growing up. I kept going to family weddings and never gained any new in-laws!"

The General commanded her family through the Great Depression, during which Myra and Howard opened their home to relatives. They had over a dozen staying with them for years - all sharing what money was available, getting by as best they could. It was a bustling house, filled with love and laughter.

Myra's daughter Margaret recalls one day in particular. "Mom was on a mission," she says. "You see, there was this terrible smell coming from the street. Sewer gas. Mom got the city to send a man to look into the problem. But, he wasn't able to fix it. Well, she took charge! She was on the phone to his supervisor. 'Your man came out here and did something in the street, and now it smells worse than ever.' And, of course, we all laughed and laughed. But she just looked at us as if we lost our minds."

Truth be told, Myra was … well … humorless. Not that she wasn't filled with joy. But, she could never tell when she was being funny. It's the British side of her. The woman just couldn't tell a joke. And she'd never get jokes others told to her. While working at her son's hardware store in Massapequa, New York, the guys would start each morning with the latest joke they'd heard. Myra would just listen, then look blankly back at them. "That's funny?" she'd ask. The guys took it as a personal challenge to find some joke that Myra could laugh at … if only they knew.

Her grandson Dave remembers the first time he found Myra, late one afternoon, hiding in back of the grain bins. Her hands covered her face and her shoulders were heaving. "Gramma, what's wrong?" "Nothing," she said between gasps, "It's … it's the joke -- I just got it!"

The General's calling was not as a stand-up comic. Her calling lay elsewhere. As a young girl, Myra felt the Holy Spirit fill her soul. She knew then that she wanted to serve Jesus all her life. The greatest sadness in her life was the time she was born -- back then, a woman couldn't become a minister of the word, and she wanted that so much.

But, as you know, when the Lord shuts a door, he opens a window. Myra spread the word of the Lord all her life, one-on-one, in groups, and in the way she lived. She was especially helpful with spreading the word among the Navajo Indians in the American West. She and her husband, for over sixty years, supported numerous Christian projects in the Navajo nation, providing money, supplies, Bibles, and an unending energy and commitment. If you find yourself out in Arizona, visiting among the Navajo, you'll see the results of the work of this special woman, and even a building or two that bear the Davidsmeyer name.

Her legacy, though, is not to be found in brick and mortar … it's found in the heart, and in the family that she leaves behind. Her 19 year-old great-granddaughter Karen Sprenger wrote this: "I heard of Great Grandma D's death just this morning and even though the only time I ever physically met her was when I was a baby, I still feel the loss. I went to an art exhibit for class today and there was a set of three photos that really affected me. It was entitled Matriarchs and it was comprised of three individual photographic portraits of old women. They were physically old, but had spirit and strength in their eyes that reminded me of my Great Grandmother. She's always been great to talk to with her great spirit. Her love was always well conveyed in every message. I know she kept us in her prayers, we'll always keep her in our hearts."

Her family can take comfort in their sure knowledge that, at long last, the General is where she has longed to be … in the warm and loving embrace of her Savior, Jesus Christ. She's re-united with her beloved husband Howard, whose been awaiting her in heaven for 20 years. Of course, Heaven might never be the same. I'm sure the General's already re-organizing the place.

For those of us left behind, I'd like to share the words of a favorite tract that Myra kept with her. "Did you know that today is a special day? … this day is God's gift to you, a 24-hour present from your creator filled with His divine opportunities. Today God has opened a new chapter in your life. Yesterday is history. Today is yours now. So, let's celebrate. Let's start enjoying God's goodness now […] On this special day let's thank God for this gift of life. Let's praise Him, that He loved us enough to send His Son to free us from our sins. And let's trust Him for the days to come. 'This is the day which the Lord hath made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.'"

By Patricia Sewell (Patsewell) on Unrecorded Date:

Jo,

Your tribute to your grandmother was touching and a fitting memorial to a woman who obviously demonstrated what it means to be a Christian in every aspect of her life. Your family has been richly blessed.

By m1 garand on Unrecorded Date:

Dear Jo
I am so sorry for you loss of your
Grandmother. My prayers are with
you.
God Bless You and your Family
Chris Cooper

By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

I was moved by your tribute to Myra. My little brother died last month, so I know what it is to grieve for someone close. I'd like to share this poem that Charley6 sent to me after Little Fox's death:

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not here,I do not sleep.
I am the thousands winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awake in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush,
Of quiet birds in circled flight,
I am the soft star that shines at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not here,I did not die.
-Author Unknown

My thoughts and prays are with you Jo, as you go through this terrible time of grieving.

Sincerely,

- Nancy LionStorm

By Lois Overton on Unrecorded Date:

What a loving tribute to a strong lady. One can only wonder what her life might have been had she been born in our generation or even in one to come. We need to remember those who paved the way for us as women and as Christians.

By Carolyn Elliott (El_tee) on Unrecorded Date:

Ah, Jo, my heart goes out to you and your family. The joy of your grandmother being with our Lord is tempered by the grief of her family for their loss. And what a wonderful legacy she has left in those "numbers" who are not numbers at all but people all of whom were shaped to some extent or another by a wonderful and loving woman. Thank you for sharing your tribute to her.

By Rita Hasburgh on Unrecorded Date:

Jo, You have been so blessed with a beautiful grandmother and so many wonderful memories. May the blessings of God also be with you now during this difficult time. Our prayers are with you.

By Scout on Unrecorded Date:

Jo-
You must feel very blessed to have had Myra Davidsmeyer not only as your grandmother, but also as an example of a faithful servant and witness to Him to emulate. You have wonderful memories of her, and I hope in some way those memories serve to comfort you now. You have my sympathy and prayers.
Sincerely,
Scout (Vicky Keonin)

By Rhonda Vriend on Unrecorded Date:

Dear Jo,

Thank you for a fine tribute to your grandmother. I pray that the Lord blesses you and your family with His peace and the strong sense of His presence at this hard time in your lives. Thank you also for keeping this "Combat" page going. We don't see it right now on the History Channel but it is good to be able to keep up with things here.

Thanks again and God bless you

Rhonda Vriend

By Jo Davidsmeyer (Admin) on Unrecorded Date:

Last night my dear Aunt Dorothy joined "The General" in paradise. I hope you will join with me in prayers for her, and joy that she is now able again to share the holidays with her sisters, with her dear husband, and with her loving savior.

By Patricia Sewell (Patsewell) on Unrecorded Date:

Thank you, Jo, for sharing with us the comforting fact of knowing that the passing of a loved one can mean joy and peace for those who remain a while longer here, until we see them face-to-face once more.

By Katey Chatburn (206.148.225.90) on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 01:04 pm:

Dear Jo, I'm sorry for the loss of your Grandmother. My husband, Graham Chatburn, died last year. He is missed very much.

By MICHELE LARGEY (Camoufanne) (216.20.102.98) on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 01:04 am:

Dear Jo Davidsmeyer:
I have been wondering for a couple of years now how I, a 58-year-old Christian woman, ever came to be a COMBAT!fan, of all things - taping episodes, downloading everything possible from your website, making COMBAT! scrapbooks, taking still photos from tapes, and getting on the COMBAT!Fan website every chance I get at my job
(no computer at home). My co-workers, seeing me surrounded by COMBAT! paraphernalia, have scratched their heads and wondered the same thing.
This evening, having exhausted just about everything else on the website, I finally tuned in to "Jo's Soapbox" and found the piece you wrote three years ago upon losing your grandmother, a woman who also loved the Lord. Suddenly everything fell into place.
When I first fell in love with COMBAT!, I worried that it might distract me from my walk with Him. But, thanks to your sharing of your Christian heritage, I can see that I'm right where He wants me.
God bless you, many times over. Michele

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: