Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: About the Actors: Rick Jason: Rick Jason's death
By Pamela Dean (Pamela) (205.188.198.46) on Friday, July 05, 2002 - 01:34 pm:

How did Rick Jason take his own life?

I am sorry to be so morbid.

By Lyne Tremblay (Lyne) (24.200.133.13) on Friday, July 05, 2002 - 02:25 pm:

Bonjour Pamela

On October 16th, 2000, Rick Jason took his own life with a pistol in his home in Moorpark Cal. It was only a week after he attended the Las Vegas Recon where he met many Combat fans. At the time, Rick gave no indications that he was going to do this. It was a deep shock to everyone who learned the news.

PFC

By Pamela Dean (Pamela) (205.188.193.34) on Friday, July 05, 2002 - 04:07 pm:

Rick Jason (From IMDB)

Birth name
Richard Jason
Date of birth (location)
21 May 1926,
New York, New York, USA
Date of death (details)
16 October 2000,
Moorpark, California, USA. (self-inflicted gunshot wound)

Biography for
Rick Jason

Page 9 of 13

Height
6' 4"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mini biography
The only child of a stock broker and well-to-do mother, Richard Jason describes himself as "2nd generation nouveau riche" and a born romantic. Friends say he is affable, charming, driven, and a real Renaissance man. A good student, popular with classmates and teachers, Jason's hellish behaviour got him expelled from eight prep schools before graduating from Rhodes School. His father bought him a seat on the NY stock exchange, but Rick sold the seat and enlisted in the Army Air Corp (1943-45). After the war, he attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts on the GI Bill. While attending a NY play, he was spotted by actor-director Hume Cronyn who immediately cast him in "Now I Lay me Down to Sleep". The role earned Rick a Theater World Award and a Hollywood contract with Columbia Pictures (he was offered contracts by four different studios). First year he was under contract, a frustrated Rick Jason did not work. Meanwhile, MGM was searching for an actor to replace the departed Fernando Lamas in "Sombrero". Jason, now released from Columbia, landed the role. This success lead to "The Saracen Blade" and RKO's "This Is My Love". 20th Century Fox signed him for the male lead in "The Lieutenant Wore Skirts". He was signed to a multi-picture contract. His first project, an adaptation of John Steinbeck's "The Wayward Bus", earned him crtical acclaim; a string of strong performances, both in films and TV, followed. Rick was deluged by more than 30 offers for TV series. In 1960, Rick Jason starred as suave insurance investigator Robin Scott in "The Case of the Dangerous Robin". The series ran 38 episodes and made Jason the first actor to use martial arts (karate) on TV. September 1962, Rick Jason exploded onto prime-time screens as the cool, calm, and collected Lt. Gil Hanley in ABC's hit series, COMBAT! Five seasons--and 152 epsiodes--later, Rick Jason was a house-hold name. After COMBAT! Rick returned to theater. He also made films in Japan and Israel. In 1970 he took the lead in the 1970 pilot "Prudence and the Chief" (1970). Rick's TV career remained strong. In the 70s and 80s, he appeared in "Matt Houston", "Police Woman", "Murder She Wrote", "Wonder Woman", "Fantasy Island", "Airwolf" and "Dallas". In 1973, he was a regular on "The Young and the Restless". Today, Rick lives with his wife Cindy in Moorpark, California. He keeps busy doing voice-overs for commercials and runs The Wine Locker: a 4,000 square-foot storage to store fine wines under optimal conditions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMDb mini-biography by
Loraine Wingham winghaml@mala.bc.ca

Spouse
'Jutta Parr' (1962 - 1964) (divorced)
'Uta 'Silky' Jutta' (1962 - 1962) (divorced - claims never legally married)
'Shirley Johnston' (1962 - ????) (divorced)
'Aria Allen' (1950 - 1962) (divorced)
'Cindy Jason' (? - 16 October 2000) (his death)

Trivia

His ex wife , Shirley, was the ex-wife of Johnny Johnston.

Had three different wives during run of "Combat"

Speaks Spanish, French, Italian, and Chines

Enjoys flying, hunting, fishing, and underwater swimming

Plays guitar

His second wife (to whom he claims he was never legally married) is a former Miss Germany

By Pamela Dean (Pamela) (205.188.193.34) on Friday, July 05, 2002 - 04:11 pm:

This webpage pays homage to those who made Classic TV the greatest and is especially dedicated to Rick Jason who starred as "Lt. Gil Hanley" in "Combat". Rest in peace, Rick! You are deeply missed by those who remain behind!

Rick Jason: May 21, 1923 - October 15, 2000

Black and White TV
By Anonymous

* Black and White TV *

You could hardly see for all the snow,

Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go

Pull a chair up to the TV set,

"Good night David, Good night Chet"

Dependin' on the channel you tuned

You got Rob and Laura - or Ward and June

It felt so good, felt so right

Life looked better in black and white

I Love Lucy, The Real McCoys

Dennis the Menace, the Cleaver boys

Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train

Superman, Lois Lane

Father Knows Best, Patty Duke

Rin Tin Tin and Lassie too

Donna Reed on Thursday night

Life looked better in black and white...

I wanna go back to black and white

Everything always turned out right

Simple people, simple lives

Good guys always won the fights

Now nothin's the way it seems

In living color or on the screen

I wanna go back to black and white.

In God they trusted, in bed they slept

A promise made was a promise kept

They never cussed or broke their vows

They'd never make the network now

But if I could I'd rather be

In a TV town in '63

It felt so good, felt so right

Life looked better in black and white...

I'd trade all the channels on the satellite

If I could just turn back the clock tonight

To when everybody knew wrong from right

Life was better in black and white.

Photo of "The Andy Griffith Show" courtesy of WGN

I would be happy to give credit where credit is due for the sketch of Rick Jason but I am not sure who the artist is as this was sent to me in email quite some time ago but thank you to whomever you are!

Thanks for being Visitor to journey back to yesteryear!

Page Last Updated 09/20/01

By Pamela Dean (Pamela) (205.188.193.34) on Friday, July 05, 2002 - 04:13 pm:

http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/forums/combat/messages/79/2440.html?0

Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: COMBAT! Reunions: Recon 2000
By mary cox on Unrecorded Date:

I just recently started creating conversations on the combat web site but I love reading the conversations by other combat fans. I'm not going to the reunion and I am really starting to get upset about it. I hope someone will give the cast a big hug from me (along with all the other hugs everyone else is requesting). Can't wait to hear about the reunion after it is over.

mary cox
smooth collie

By joan on Unrecorded Date:

i also want you guys who are going to tell all the cast how much i enjoyed the show and them also in other shows..too bad vic morrow could not know who much he was like by the fans before his death.it make me so sad when i read about the accident?...and that i didn't know about this site until after littlejohn(dick peabody) died..so give my best to the rest of the squad...
joan

By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

Ah Joan, you will be happy to hear that there's a lot going on to insure that fans who can't attend will be able to view official photos, and get daily reports.

You can even purchase the 55-page souvenier program that will be autographed by all of the actors. It also includes a set of dogtags and an incredible shoulder patch.

For more insider scoops, you really want to join the COMBAT! Discussion Email List.

~ 349th Heavy Weapons Crew

By saunders on Unrecorded Date:

Are any of those souvenier programs still available?

Kim

By saunders on Unrecorded Date:

Sorry I had to get off line before I finished the last message. I am a "new" COMBAT! fan and was not aware of the details of the reunion (other than I wouldn't be able to attend) and therefor didn't ask about the programs earlier.

Rick Jason's death has made me very aware that if I want a keepsake of the show and its stars I will have to act now.

Thanks,

Kim

PS: Loved the pictures of the reunion. My son who has only seen a few episodes took one look at Jack Hogan and recognized him immediatly. His smile hasn't changed a bit.

Visit CombatFan.com  
for information about Vic Morrow, Rick Jason and all the Combat cast!

: