Combat Fan Page Discussion Forum: General Discussion: Current Status of COMBAT! Movie
By Nancy LionStorm (349hvywpnscrew) on Unrecorded Date:

I would very much like to hear about the current status of the "COMBAT!" movie and hope that Dee Cee, the movie's originator, will respond to this inquiry.

With the renewed interest in WWII flicks ("The Thin Red Line", "Saving Private Ryan", "U-571" and "Pearl Harbor") and with Bruce Willis' star status and John Goodman's possible involvement, what does the production timeline look like for a "COMBAT!" movie?

By Rose Ann Schrock (Carbine) on Unrecorded Date:

Yes! You asked the very question I was just getting ready to post! We must be of the same mind. (grin) I was just reading a copy of Steve Rubin's Combat movie script that I got from a good friend that attended Comboat 96. I want to know what happened! Steve R. sounded so sure that the movie would come out soon and it's been 4 years. The script sounds like a heck of a Combat and I would like to see a movie done now, not ten years later. The Combat cast deserve to see the movie in maybe even act in it in their life time.
Rose (Hazelnut)

Oops! Sorry, Dee Cee. When I read your message about doing a script treatment I thought you were Bill Wisher who wrote the screen play, or Steve Rubin who (in 1996) who had bought the rights to COMBAT! and was trying to have it turned into a movie.

By Dana Eugene Creasy (Deecee322) on Unrecorded Date:

No sweat, Nance... kinda figured that was what happened. Besides, I think my idea would be better for the surviving cast members, as any new Combat movie set back in War Two would, of necessity, only be able to feature our heroes in cameo roles at best. With an updated script to 1970s Viet Nam period, they would mostly be retired or close to it, and in nearly the right age bracket. By the way, maybe we could coax Rick Jason out of retirement, as in my script he is a Lieutenant General serving as II Field Force Commanding General in Viet Nam when Saunders is killed in action. You'd be surprised at the role I have in mind for Caje, too!

By Lyne Tremblay (Lyne) on Unrecorded Date:

I would looove to see a Combat movie set in any wartime era, as long as our guys were in it, even in a cameo capacity. But as for a role for Caje:

Spill, Dee Cee!!! Spill !

Lyne

By Diane M. Judy (Djudy) on Unrecorded Date:

Dana,

Please don't kill the Sarge. He's really a kind hearted soul with a tough exterior. He needs a loving wife and kids, even though he decides to make a career of the Army. He is so much like my dad, husband, and brother-in-law.

Diane

I diagree with you Diane/ I love Saunders too, but it would give the movie a better feel if he was killed in action becuase it would mirror reality and almost become a tribute to Vic Morrow himself. And I think he deserves that.
Hazelnut

About the choices for an eventual actor to portray Saunders:
Did I read right when I saw In Steve R's letter that "we need more than just another actor to revive the WWII genre, we need a bankable superstar who can bring in all those masses because experts claim that no one is interested in a World War II movie anymore?" (That is not a direct quote) If that is so, than I don't think I agree. We just want a good cast of characters giving believable, life-mirroring performances. That will draw in the viewers as much as wall-to-wall box office stars. That being said, I think Bruce Willis WOULD make a good Saunders. He would also make a pretty good Kirby, though, wouldn't he?
What would your casting choices be, Dana?

While I agree that it would be nice to have the COMBAT movie be a tribute to Vic Morrow, I think that it should also be a tribute to the entire real-life cast. And the Sarge needn't be killed off in order for the movie to accomplish that goal.

The finest story I've seen published is King Two's still uncompleted "All Expense Paid Tour". It uses the flashback technique and throughout its length we only see Sgt. Saunders during WWII. Whenever the story takes us back to the novel's 'present' (the 50th anniversary celebration) the old men and long-time friends of First Squad gather together for the upcoming ceremonies. Sarge is nowhere to be seen and we are left in suspense throughout the novel wondering if Chip is or isn't alive, which no doubt we will find out by the novel’s end. But by the end of Part 3 there are already hints and indications that the big surprise Hanley’s daughter has arranged might be the reunion of the mysteriously absent Saunders with her father, retired US Army Colonel Gilbert Hanley, along with the rest of the squad who are gathered with Hanley.

The advantage of Jo’s plot is that it allows the original cast to make more than just mere cameo appearances. While leaving the flashback roles open for younger and well-known actors. With Jo's story the original cast is right now at the perfect age for meaty roles. What could be more fitting for the men we honor? So long from your friendly 349th

Heavy Weapons Crew
(aka HWC)

By Brenda Koehler (Jasmine) on Unrecorded Date:

I always figured in Jo's story, Saunders is actually dead, because Hanley named his boy Charlie, which Chip is a nickname for. But he could always be MIA. too.

I always took it that Saunders died too, but Really wish that Jo would have finished her story. Agree with you there, HWC. Jo's unfinished All Expense Paid Tour is definately my favorite fan fiction of all and a movie like that Would give the origonal cast a big role. Unfortunately, I have a copy of Steve R. script and the origonal cast members are not even in it for a second. It is all WW2 and the "young" men of King Co.
Hazelnut

Hey You all I get the feeling that I'm missing something!! Two stories have been mentioned lately that I have not found in "Fandom."
One of which is "All Expense Paid Tour".
The other I can't recall but it was mentioned receintly. (I tried to find it in the messages but ended up getting kicked off aol and it took 15min. to get back here.) Any way are there more stories? I really enjoy reading all of them.

Bruce Willis would make a good Kirby, I think.
I don't quite see him as Saunders. He has Kirbly's sly look, and twinkle in his eye.

I really can't think of who could play Saunders.
That hard stare and the look that could kill but at another time show deep feeling, love, and sorrow would be hard to duplicate. I just thought Tom Hanks might be able to pull it off.

No rose Saunders doesn't die, he's to stuborn
and battle smart to die.

Diane

Hi Diane!

Can't figure out why King Two (Jo Davidsmeyer) doesn't list her own novel on this, her own web site. Modest, I guess. Here are the URLs

King Two’s " THE ALL EXPENSE PAID TOUR " novel.

(Part 1):
http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combatfiction/Sea_cru.html

(Part 2):
http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combatfiction/walk1.html

(Part 3):
http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combatfiction/cocktails.html

So long from your friendly 349th

- Heavy Weapons Crew

The other fanfiction sites are

White Rook’s Stories.
http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~nad/combat.html

Nathaniel Bridger’s stories.
http://www.escape.ca/~navcom/Bridger1.html

Ash’s stories.
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Station/6070/

The stories of Bayonet, Anzio Annie, Foxhole Filly, King Two, and White
Queen.
http://onramp.i2k.com/~dpierce/Combat/index.html

Victoria’s stories.
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/trailer/7923/

Chameleon’s stories.
http://members.aol.com/mcphanatic/dot.html

Jane Wood's story.
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/9994/

- 349th Heavy Weapons Crew

You've got that right, Diane. Vic Morrow will never quite be matched. There was a quality about the man, a thoughness mixed with sensitivity that comes out as natural, not strained. No other actor can render it the same way, I think. Some may come close, but...
Lyne

Lyne, would you happen to be a Saunder's fan.
I like all the men in the squad, however,
Saunders is the leader among men!!
He says more with a look, not even replying to someones comment or question, or a quiet word ie. "What did you say?" (A Little Jazz).
I have been a school teacher for 39 yrs. and in that time so often I found that not saying anything often says it all. At the same time I'm also known as "G.I. Judy" because sometimes a "dressing down" is called for. (At one time I was a Sgt. then a Capt. US Army.)
And no Vic Morrow can not be matched. HE was one of a kind.

Nancy thanks for the web sites for fan fiction. I checked them out and their great.

Lyne, sorry, I forgot you are a LeMay fan.
He's another one that talks with his eyes and facial expression.

Diane

Not to take away from either Caje or Saunders (they are all four stars in my book) but because I am a die-hard Hanley fan I think that it is my duty to add that Hanley is a man that also talks mostly with his eyes and facial expressions. None of those three men say much (so unlike our Kirby I might add) and I think that it is a very wonderful acting technique. These guys don't have to hog all of the best lines of script because they can tell a novel's worth of words with only a sentence. I also believe that Saunders and Hanley have a chemistry that makes them each four times better together than seperate. They seem to gain energy and feeling from the other's differences and similarities. This is true of the whole squad.
Hazelnut

Gals. You know, there's a beautiful quiet scene that I remember from "Far From the Brave". In it, Saunders walks up a flight of stairs and tell Kirby that he sent him up to use his eyes and not his mouth. And for five entire seasons, all of the guys from King Co. did exactly that. They used their eyes to give each other looks, nods, grins, stares and many many priceless expressions that spoke more than what was just written in the script. That's what I call depth of characterisation. The ability to reach down far into a person written on a page and flesh him out into a believable human being. To find something noble and beautiful in the ordinary men and women who serve in the Armed Forces in war.
Diane, I'll now state for the public record that, even though I love ALL of them, I'm very much a Vic's Chick. Vic Morrow was a one-of-a-kind hero, able to bring something that everyone could identify with to his role of Saunders.

Whoah there, Hazelnut! Are you saying that Jack Hogan 'hogs' all the best lines in the scripts? Dems fightin' words, girl! FLAME WAR!

As an excellent character actor Jack Hogan was given those lines by the writers so that his character could provide a contrast to Sarge (and the other quieter characters). Jack DID NOT hog anything. In fact, from what I've seen (Comboat'96 interviews, etc.) and read, Vic fought for Jack as much as he did for the rest of the guys so that they would have good roles. Jack had to fight for Kirby evolve into a nice guy. Once Jack accomplished his goal you will see that he ended up saying as little as Caje or Littlejohn and various guest stars became the big-mouthed trouble makers.

Spit, snarl, growl... Oops, I'm supposed to be your friendly 349th

- Heavy Weapons Crew

NOOOOO! I did Not mean to say that about Jack! I simply stated he he is an actor that is more apt to use his voice. When I made the other statement about "hogging the best script" I meant that as a general statement about a lot of modern actors who think that they always have to say a lot of words to be good. I'm sorry if that's what it came out sounding like. IMHO Jack never got very good script lines as it is, and he definately never hogged the camera. None of the boys played "star" on Combat, even Vick or Rick. I saw the Comboat tape and I totaly agree with you there. Truce! I surrender! Oh, just forget it!
Hazelnut

I know what Hazelnut means, though. Remember Jack Hogan in the episode "I Swear By Apollo"? He was gooood. I Can still see him in the background, looking up into the nun's veils, looking spooked out of his wits. Not a word was uttered by him then, but I almost laughed out of my chair. Sure stole THAT scene, I think. What would Combat! be without someone like him? Scene stealers are the best and most priceless elements of a cast. Let's appreciate them more!!!
Lyne

By Paul DeMay on Unrecorded Date:

I think a teaming of Bruce Willis and Ed Harris would be great for Saunders and Kirby. Either actor would fit either role in my opinion. Ed Harris even looks a little like Jack Hogan.

By mike sonnessa (Sonny_michaels) on Unrecorded Date:

Mmmmm, Ed Harris might be an interesting choice. Bruce Willis is obvious, of course. What about Mel Gibson? I think he might be a cool Saunders, if he's not too "old." What about Steven Segal for Caje?

Folks, here's our newest fan fiction writer,

PFC: http://delt.yi.org/lyne/Journey-Meetings.html

So long from your friendly 349th

- Heavy Weapons Crew

By Tim Birney on Unrecorded Date:

There have been "rumors" around the comic book conventions of a "SGT ROCK" movie, starring Arnold. Just rumors.
Ed Harris would be as close to the Sgt. Saunders character as anyone could ask for, and yes, I would agree that Bruce Willis would be a good Kirby. Now the hard part, "Littlejohn"... fill in that blank, and you can proceed with production.

By Sharon Hazlett (Ivy) on Unrecorded Date:

You are right Tim, Littlejohn is a hard role to fill. The only known actor that comes to mind is Matthew Modine. Although he doesn't quite have the height required, I think he could easily play the gentle, affable Littlejohn. As for Caje, I think Armand Assante has that character written all over him.

By medic1 on Unrecorded Date:

Who do you think would play the part of Hanley and Doc in the movie? By the way I think that George Clooney would make a good Hanley or Saunders. What are your thoughts?

By medic1 on Unrecorded Date:

On the old T.V. series Bronk with Jack Palance, Vic Morrow guest starred in an episode that I believe was titled " The P.I." This was supposed to be a pilot for a series starring our beloved "Sarge". Does anyone out there have any info on this?

Quote:

By the way I think that George Clooney would make a good Hanley or Saunders

And I think you're a genius. Yum-yum! He sure looked good in a uniform in Three Kings. Keep those bright ideas coming, medic1.

I sort of agree that the original guys of King Co. are awfully hard to replace. They are the real thing, aren't they? But I was thinking; does anybody cast a vote for Ed Harris in the role of Hanley? He has the quiet dignity needed for it.

And, does the actor who would play Saunders have to be blond, like Vic?

PFC

You are quite right there, Lyne. No matter how good the modern actors may be, their attempt at acting out the beloved men of King Co. will always fall short in most of our eyes because we will always remember the origonal cast. You can't replace them no matter how wonderful the other actors might be because every person is unique. I think the question is: what are we looking for the modern actors to imitate, looks or personality? Does Saunders really Have to be a ruggedly handsome blond or is it more important that he act like the Sarge? Perhaps the best man to be Saunders is not a blond, what then? Should we go for look alikes or for similar personalities? Same thing with all the guys. Should Hanley be tall, dark, and gorgeous, or should he have, as Lyne put it so well, that quiet dignity that Gil is noted for? I guess this is all up for the producers to decide, but I am very picky and I would hate to see our boys portrayed differently. This will be one heck of a tough movie to produce. The makers of it have my prayers.
Hazelnut

Perhaps we could try a casting first. Don't know if this has ever been tried before.

Wonder what would happen if we asked each one of the original guys of Combat, himself, to choose the actor to replace him in the new motion picture.

We the viewers might not agree that its the best choice, but, hey! we would at least be sure that the role went to someone that the original approved of.

How about that, then?

PFC

By Dana Eugene Creasy (Deecee322) on Unrecorded Date:

Actually, Lyne, we do just that many times in the industry when a remake is being done. In the case of the various Star Trek series and movies, the cast members of each previous series/movie, along with many of the original series' writers, directors, prop people, etc. were involved. Of course, the first six or seven (or twelve or thirty) ST movies featured the original cast, or at least most of them. And, several of the original cast members reprised their roles in ST-TNG episodes, including the late De Kelley, Bill Shatner (ah... a fellow Canadian! And, one who shares MY birthday!), Jimmy Doohan and others in less noticable roles, including the late Gene Roddenberry's wife, Majel Barret (Nurse Chapel and the computer voice on the original ST). Ernie Borgnine, of course, played himself, albeit in a surprise ending, in the recent McHale's Navy movie. Speaking of actors and casting, that is a good case in point, where a female played Lieutentant Carpenter's role and a Black man played Ensign Parker's role. It would not have been possible for the movie to have been set in War Two, as neither women nor minorities were welcome in combat positions, though many found themselves there regardless. The way that movie ended it, with Ernie Borgnine asking Tom Arnold, "How's my old boat?" explained everything nicely and neatly.

Now, who to play the Combat cast? Wearing my writer/director hat, I would say try for the best actors you can find, regardless of their "star power". As a producer, and network exec, of course the answer is go for the gusto... star power is what packs them in and brings in the bucks. As an actor, I would say that physical resemblances are not the point, nor is the ability to "imitate" or even impersonate the originals... after all, could there ever be another William G. Kirby? Nah... When acting, my preference was not to try and imitate Olivier in a Shakespeare production, or another actor in another, but use my own interpretation and portrayal of what I think the character best represents. That is what every GOOD actor trys to bring to their roles... and what every GOOD director trys to bring out in his/her cast. Unfortunately, the "suits" (and, unfortunately I am one of them now) have the final say. Hopefully, there will be a meeting of the minds when casting the movie(s) if any are ever made. I would prefer my original idea of setting a reunion, of sorts, as a memorial to both Vic and Dick in the Viet Nam era. And no, the characters would not have been too old. Saunders character was supposed to be 25, not 35, which would have made him in his late 40s in the VN era... not too old for a Sergeant Major. Unfortunately, the original cast members are rapidly aging past the point where they would be believable in reprising their original roles as anything other than 'retired old men' (not meant as a slur), so production would have to begin quickly. A script, a treatment and casting is not the problem... money is. Someone has to put up the money who believes in any of the projects... and they are the ones who have the right to say who they want in the roles.

That's my two cents (less Canadian Non-Resident Withholding and exchange rate conversion, of course) worth... How's that for ducking the question of who I prefer in the roles? LOL

You are right, Dana. An actor does not try to imitate the origonal character; he creates his own interpretation of them. Unfortunately, I am afraid that no matter how hard he may try, the actors will find themselves mimicking the origonal cast. Whoever portrays the Sarge will always try to have that old Vic Morrow swagger and give those same old PPTs. It would take a 4 star actor to have the guts to be origonal. If they aren't, all the public will receive will be a bunch of modern actors with their modern effects impersonating the Combat series, nothing more. Like you said, there could never be another Kirby, so why even try? Yes, the ideas and characters should be preserved the best they know how, but not only a cheap imitation. It needs to go deeper than that.
Hazelnut

By GI NURSE on Unrecorded Date:

I don't know if I am even allowed to be in here, but here goes nothing.
Did anyone see the movie "Hell is for Heros", I am sure most of you did. I was struck by how very much it reminded me of COMBAT!. I think that this movie is about as close to COMBAT! as they will ever get.
Good evening,
GI nurse

Thank you very much again for your insights, Dana. But even if the original actors DID make the final choice on who would play their roles, that would still leave out Dick and Vic. They aren't around to do it. I think I agree with your writer/director decision, rather than with the other one. Go with the best actor, to give a good portrayal, and not just with a big-name star, to bring in big bucks. There are many many good actors out there. Mostly, though, I think it's just as important to have a good story. Well, that's basically MY two (plus exchange rate) Canadian cents worth.

PFC

Hi GI Nurse:
In regards to Hell is For Heroes, I'm sure I've seen it on TV before, although not recently. I don't remember it very well, but I think HWC said that Robert Pirosh, who created Combat had a lot to do with it. So the fact that it reminded you of Combat! wouldn't be a coincidence.

GI Nurse, for more info click on this URL:

Biography of Robert Pirosh

- 349th Heavy Weapons Crew

By William Larson (Wlarson) on Unrecorded Date:

I figure that no actors can recreate what the orginal cast did... they were the best....
When it comes to the movie Combat... why can't they be say company C so they are all different and they can make references to K company and how they are on their flank and can refer to the orginal cast names in conversations amoung the new cast and talk to Saunders or Handley on the radio... then they don't have to live up the the best and create a new one.... just a thought!

Well, William, I suppose that the way you suggested might be safer, but then it would not be a Combat movie anymore, and creating a Combat movie based on the series is the whole point. If you just referred to the cast then the movie would just be another modern WW2 show that mentioned Combat! The producers (and many fans) have a dream of creating Combat for a new generation, honoring Vic and Dick, and bringing the series back into public intrest again. Nothing would be accomplished with the movie you suggested. Those are just my thoughts...
Hazelnut

By Debbie Tarlow (Deb) on Unrecorded Date:

I was searching the net today on the site"ain't it cool" and the last update on the COMBAT! movie was dated 06-28-99 saying that Paramount had just spent one million dollars so they can keep the rights to the COMBAT movie. They were going to release it as a big movie for the summer of 2001. I was wondering if anyone had a more recent update. I honestly don't know if I am interested in the movie because the reason I LOVE the TV series is because of the cast. Even if George Clooney was to play Hanley. But a person at Paramount Customer Relations told me if a movie was released they would also release the videos of the TV series and THAT I'm interested in.

By MICHELE LARGEY (Camoufanne) (216.20.102.98) on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 11:32 pm:

Hello fellow COMBAT! fans:
I just read all of the above & wish I knew when these entries were made. Clearly, Rick Jason was still alive in some of them.
I've been waiting for a week now (since July 1, 2002) for a response to my idea for an actor to play Saunders in the movie, but I can see now that I posted my entry in the wrong place - under
"move--is it being made?" I should have entered under "current status."
Anyway, I'm here now, & the guy I proposed for the part is Johnathan LaPaglia from "The District". The only comparison to Vic's looks is his left cheek (look carefully, you'll see what I mean), but I see a quality in him that might work in the role.
Will someone out there please tell me what you think? Camoufanne

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: